Pump Humming

azy891

Jun 17, 2015
wayne, nj
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum but have found it very helpful thus far. I just opened up the pool and replaced the liner, it has been closed for about 8 years. Initially everything had been running fine, I acid washed the filter and ensured the pump was in good working order. Ran the system for about 60 hours after the fill to normalize the pool with chemicals. I then shut the pump off for a few hours. When I went to turn it back on, there was a humming and no start. I detached the wet end from the housing to find a ton of D.E. stuck in the Impeller. I cleaned it out with a house and the pump ran fine, that was yesterday. My guess is this is feeding into the pump from the filter. Has anyone else seen this?

Today the pump had been running about 10 hours. I turn it off to regenerate the filter after vacuuming. Go to turn the pump on - about 1.5 mins later - and get the humming again. I opened it up so a minor amount of D.E. even though I could spin the Impeller with my finger. Reconnected the housing but no luck like yesterday :confused: So that's the story any responses are greatly appreciated

IMG_5451.jpg.

I did some research and am thinking that this can be the capacitor and plan on opening to test the part out tomorrow prior to taking it to a local pool shop to take a look at repairing / damage.

Thanks in advance!

It's surely possible the cap is bad, it can be tested with a cap checker - a motor guy or HVAC guy (or a properly equipped poolguy) can test it, the mfd rating is printed on the side - probably something like 161-192 or thereabouts. If the motor has been sitting and not been run for 8 years, you got lucky that the bearings are still free! When you open the rear of the motor you'll see the cap, the overload, the centrifugal start/run switch mechanism and the switch itself. I've seen debris get in between the switch points where they can't make good contact and the motor is trying to start on the run windings. You'll have to carefully inspect the switch points, but BE CAREFUL because it's easy to bend the outer point arm and then the switch is shot. You may do yourself a big favor and replace the motor, I have a strong hunch it's not long for this world. If you're mechanically inclined and have basic tools, it's not a difficult job. You can buy a motor online. Be sure to replace the shaft seal as well.

When the motor was running, did it sound raspy or squealy? Dry bearings kind of sound? If so - change the motor. It should be pretty quiet. Sure, you can have the motor redone, but the cost will be darn near the price of a new motor. If you don't want to tackle the repair yourself, pull the pump and take the whole works to a motor shop. A pool store may just do the same thing then tack on their profit. Or, best option yet (but pricier) - replace the entire pump. The new ones are more efficient and you'll have a warranty. Available online.

Thanks for the information Chas. I tried opening the back of my motor but had some difficulties since the screws are rusted. I'll most likely be calling a repair service to take a look at the repair estimates and perhaps get a new motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.