Pump Issues

Icarus

Jun 17, 2015
Carlisle/PA
Hello Everyone. I was wondering if anybody could give me some assistance on an issue im having with my pool pump. It is a .5hp Hayward. I left it running over night and in the morning when i came out the pump was off. I tried to turn it back on and it would not. I checked the cables and the power outlet it was plugged into. Everything was fine. I left the pump in the on position and left it alone for the day. The next day when i went to look at it, it was back on. Now it has been running for about 2 days for fear if i shut it off that it would not come back on. Well i went to shut if off today and even after i flipped the switch on the pump to off the pump continues to run. Does anybody know what the issue could be. Really not trying to buy a new pump if i can get a couple more years out of this one.

Thanks,
Icarus

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well if the switch will not turn it off, clearly you have some wiring issues.

Is the switch on the motor itself? If so, there is something not right internally and I would not keep using it.

The switch is on the motor itself. A Little background on this situation is i purchased my house last July so all the pool equipment was already there. Never had any issues with the pump until recently with this new power issue. I was also informed that the pump i currently have is made for an above ground pool and that i will need a new pump soon anyways. I have an in-ground 22,000 gallon pool. The pump i have doesn't automatically prime and I believe it is called a power-flo. I just wanted to see if there was a simple cheap fix that i could do to make this pump last the rest of the season. Now my concern is could this be dangerous? I leave the pump running all day when i am at work so I would really hate for that thing to catch fire or have any other serious issues occur.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not quite sure what V the pump is. I am currently at work but when i get home i can check.

That other person was right. The Hayward Power Flo pump is only for above ground pools. That's why it has priming issues, not to mention .5hp isn't sufficient for a 22k pool. That's also why it's a plug in instead of hard wired. Also, I agree with the others that there is an electrical issue. I believe it's time for an upgrade.

Some Power Flo versions are self-priming so could be used for an in-ground pool.
I agree that this is a bit on the small side for a pump of this size.

Do you only have 115V available or is there 230V at the equipment pad too? I would recommend something like the Superflo 1HP 2-speed if you have 230V available.

@OldPoolMan: I would disagree with your 1/2 HP being insufficient for a 22K pool as HP is hardly the full story. A 1/2 HP Whisperflo would be more than big enough for a pool this size ... plus we generally recommend a 2-speed pump running on low most of the time which runs at well below 1/2 HP.

Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't want to but i guess i will have to get a new pump. Any recommendations? Pool store wanted me to buy a Hayward maxflo 1hp for $550 with installation. I thought this was a little too high seeing as i found the same or comparable model for about $400. They informed me that if i installed a new pump myself that it would void the warranty. This sounded like a load of BS to me but i wasn't 100% sure. What do you guys recommend would be the best affordable pump for me? My pool has two skimmer basket and a french/floor drain. It also has two returns. I am using a Hayward sand filter at the moment but after the pump that's the next thing to be upgraded. Looking at going to a DE filter. I am also considering getting a salt water system installed. Not sure if any of these upgrades would effect which pump i should get but i would like to keep these future upgrades in mind when buying this new pump.

I would suggest upgrading to a 2-speed pump. Selection is a little more limited if you only have 115V available.
Changing the filter or adding a SWG does not really impact the pump recommendation

... They informed me that if i installed a new pump myself that it would void the warranty. This sounded like a load of BS to me but i wasn't 100% sure...

This is somewhat true, but not exactly. I just went through a pump buying experience, and I was checking with pool stores as well as looking online. To the best of my knowledge, it seemed to me that you can still get warranties from the manufacturers even if you self install, but they are shorter. For one example, a Pentair Var. spd. pump had a 3 year warranty if professionally installed or only a 3 month warranty if self installed. So it isn't that it was voided per se, it was just shortened by a lot.

On that note, I see you are in PA, you should check around for a wholesale pool place up there. we have one here in AZ (they are actually the parts providers for a large build your own pool site) that I have used, and they seemed to have the best prices on pumps. Now they wouldn't install a pump themselves, but they would give you the names of professional installers that could install the pump for you, and that would give you the full warranty. point being the "professional installer" didn't have to be a'Pool Store', it could be a certified private installer as well. You might find an internet price, with a private professional install might be cheaper overall than a pool store. YMMV.

I ended up choosing a pump from circupool that came with a 2 or 3 year warranty (i don't recall off the top of my head), that stood whether it was self or professionally installed. But their lowest price pump is out of your listed range just from what I read above.

This is all good points and i appreciate the info. I was able to take a look at my pump and it is a 115. I have a outdoor electric outlet rite next to my pump. Is there a way to somehow create a hardwire there? Is this something that the pool company would do if i have them install it or would i need an electrician first? I just find it hard to believe that this pool has been here for about 8 years now and that the previous owner have been using the incorrect pump this whole time. I wonder if there is some hookup somewhere im missing or if it was removed at some point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So i have been doing some research and i think i figured out what i am going to do. I was thinking about getting this pump:
Amazon.com : Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
This pump is only one speed and it is a 1hp. From my understanding this pump doesn't come with a power cable so what i was thinking of doing to save me from having to have an electrician come in is to buy a pool timer that has an electric plug on it. Then i can hard wire the pump directly to the timer and it will gets its power from the timer. Is this possible. I was reading a review for this pump and someone had mentioned that in the comments section. Couldn't really find a timer like that. Does anyone know of one? Does this even exist?
The option i saw was to get this item so i can plug into my electric outlet:
Leviton 000-515PR-000 15 Amp Black Rubber Plug Grounded 125 Volt - Electric Plugs - Amazon.com

Would that be the best way to do it?

You can hardware it but it doesn't sound like your too familiar n comfortable with electrical work. Doesn't really make much of a difference as far as one way or the other. There's a lot of different configurations as far as wiring it. Too bad you don't have 220v there,save you some money on electric bill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.