So, my pump died today ... need advice on replacement

MoreSparkle

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2012
NW FL
Hey y'all ....

Had a good last year with new filter and doing okay til today ..motor died, :-(

the hub and son are off to camp this week ... so, as freaked out as I was to do it, I tore it down and long story short, the shaft won't spin.

So called intex, a replacement motor (part is 11322EG) is $141.....ugghh... I didn't even wait to hear what shipping and tax would be ....

a whole new set up is $130 @ amazon.. free shipping,
Amazon.com: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 110-120 Volt with GFCI, 2800 Gallon: Patio, Lawn Garden

I am wondering if going to a slightly bigger model is going to cause me probs bc I am using the over the wall skimmer that came w/ pool. I know a bigger, better skimmer can be cut-in, but I am too chicken to do it.

I wonder if the skimmer caused any cavitation issues? We have had lots of storms recently, the water level got low a couple of weeks ago and it was sucking in air ....

I use the pole vac in the skimmer set up that came with it, but thinking about a Wanda.

So I would be going from max flow rate of 2650 to 2800 (if I read that correctly).

Any advice???

besides lots of chlorine :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if it matters, I am not using the swg this year, one
of those few who didn't care for the salt.

A bigger pump will not be a problem ... and the 2 you are talking about are basically the same.
Sucking in air is not cavitation (not sure why so many people say this ;) )

A bigger pump will not be a problem ... and the 2 you are talking about are basically the same.
Sucking in air is not cavitation (not sure why so many people say this ;) )

Well, looks like it will only ship 2 days if in stock, otherwise 4-6 weeks booo :-(

soooo looking at 2100 gph

so is cavitation when it runs dry? I read so many times that it is air ... and there's no reason I would know any better ... but think I'm fixin' to get some (more) pump education ....

oh well, off to buy more chlorine .....

Just forget the word cavitation. That is when air bubble FORM on the impeller due to very low pressures ... you can not see it and it sounds like rocks in the pump. It is also VERY rare in pool pumps.

Running the pump dry is not a good thing and I am not sure it has a special name.

I do not think I would want to go to a smaller pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.