Trouble keeping pH down

Zevo

Jun 19, 2013
Hello all. I have a 15,000 gallon gunite pool with a Intellichlor SWG IC40.....I run the pump about 5 hours a day. I have my ouput set around 25%....salt level reads 3000. CYA is about 50. FC is 1.6-2. TA is 110. I keep adding muriatic acid to my pool but the pH still comes back up....i have a spill over spa and a waterfall. the waterfall runs for 15 mins a day when we are not using it. Any ideas.....any ideas about what my % output on my SWG should be? Thanks

Your pH will rise with the high TA and with the SWG running.

You haven't specified the pH you're rising to nor targeting. If pH is 8 and you're targeting 7.8, it will take months to work the TA down. You should target 7.2 pH and run that waterfall full blast all day to drive pH back up in a hurry and then repeat it again and again until TA gets down to around 70. Also raise your CYA and then fine tune the SWG percentage.

The pertinent articles are
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

attachment.php

Your pH will rise with the high TA and with the SWG running.

You haven't specified the pH you're rising to nor targeting. If pH is 8 and you're targeting 7.8, it will take months to work the TA down. You should target 7.2 pH and run that waterfall full blast all day to drive pH back up in a hurry and then repeat it again and again until TA gets down to around 70. Also raise your CYA and then fine tune the SWG percentage.

The pertinent articles are
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

attachment.php

good point....when i test my pH its 8....i guess im targeting 7.6 according to the calculator. what cya should i target? so basically I should keep on adding acid to lower the pH and eventually with the continuous rise and fall of the pH the TA will go down?

good point....when i test my pH its 8....i guess im targeting 7.6 according to the calculator. what cya should i target? so basically I should keep on adding acid to lower the pH and eventually with the continuous rise and fall of the pH the TA will go down?
Fora SWG pool, CYA is 70-80

Lowering TA goes along with lowering pH. It's like a ratchet and a bolt. You push down (acid) and then you lift the ratchet (aerate). The ratchet is the pH, it comes back up. The TA is the bolt. It stays down. Target 7.2. The lower the pH, the faster the outgassing, the faster the whole process.

When the TA is down, just try to set your parameters to the ones recommended in Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Fora SWG pool, CYA is 70-80

Lowering TA goes along with lowering pH. It's like a ratchet and a bolt. You push down (acid) and then you lift the ratchet (aerate). The ratchet is the pH, it comes back up. The TA is the bolt. It stays down. Target 7.2. The lower the pH, the faster the outgassing, the faster the whole process.

When the TA is down, just try to set your parameters to the ones recommended in Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Thank you Richard for your help...your analogy was perfect for me to understand...very helpful...thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.