SWG-how long until it works?

Jun 13, 2015
Clinton, Utah
Does the saltwater generator take several days to start keeping our chlorine levels stable? I ran it for the recommended amount of hours (3) yesterday, and another 3 hours today, but my chlorine levels are down to 2 again. Also...my CC was at .25 today. Is that bad?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post a full set of test results?

You should always supplement with bleach if the FC is dropping too low.

No test measures CC in 0.25ppm increments, so not sure where that came from.

Until your SWG can maintain the level required, simply continue to augment your FC with liquid bleach. In the meantime, here are a couple links that discussed the SWG start-up time:
SWG setting-first time
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

If you still need additional assistance after reviewing these previous discussions, please let us know so we can get you additional help. Thanks.

I guess maybe I did it wrong then? The TF-100 test said to check for CC to add 5 drops of R-0003 to the clear solution and if it returns pink to add back R-0871 as before and then x that number by .5 again. It turned back to pink after one drop. 1x.5= .25 right?

Here are my full test results from today:

FC- 2
TA- 160 I was told to give this some time as we are just getting our pool set up
PH- 7.5
CC- .25
CYA- 20 (I added more today)

Which brings me to another question:
Should I be testing all of these on a daily basis or just the FC levels?

I'm an idiot lol!! I was just going through the numbers on my calculator and not even thinking about what I was typing in! I probably hit the equals button twice when it didn't change!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Should I check the CYA daily until I get it right or give it time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess maybe I did it wrong then? The TF-100 test said to check for CC to add 5 drops of R-0003 to the clear solution and if it returns pink to add back R-0871 as before and then x that number by .5 again. It turned back to pink after one drop. 1x.5= .25 right?

Here are my full test results from today:

FC- 2
TA- 160 I was told to give this some time as we are just getting our pool set up
PH- 7.5
CC- .25
CYA- 20 (I added more today)

Which brings me to another question:
Should I be testing all of these on a daily basis or just the FC levels?

CYA needs to be tested a week after you add any. Then maybe monthly. It shouldn't shift much unless you lose a huge amount to splashout or torrential rains causing overflowing.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule has the recommended schedule.

But feel free to test everything as often as you wish, until you get a feel for things. After a week of seeing how things progress, you'll be guessing the readings with amazing accuracy before drop one leaves the bottle. It's like having your first baby. It's okay to be nervous and overly protective. :mrgreen:

lol! Okay! So, should I take out the sock of CYA I just put in since I I already added it a few days ago?

How long ago did you add the first CYA, and what did you target?

CYA can take up to a week to register completely on the test. The rule of thumb is to assume that what you added is all there until proven otherwise. So... if you added enough to get to 70 and it's only been two days, yes, get the second batch out. You don't want to overshoot and have to drain.

I don't see on our SWG where we can change the percentage. I can increase the amount of hours it runs....
I only have test strips to test the salt content...are these sufficient?

Also- I'm having a hard time understanding what boost mode is? The directions say it increases the copper ions? I didn't realize that was something I had to check. I guess I need different test strips for that?

- You have to control the SWG output by adjusting the amount of time the pump and SWG run.
- Forget about boost mode ... add bleach if you need to bump the FC level
- Sometimes the salt strips work, other times they go bad.
- Yikes, you should disconnect the wires from the copper bars .. you do not want copper in the pool. Search the forum for more info ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.