Bleach vs. Chlorine Tablets

wjaneala

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2015
Cullman, AL
So, to maintain the chlorine level in my pool, can I rely solely on the tabs? Or do I need to be adding bleach every day? Right now I have three tabs in the skimmer closest to the pump, and two in the other. I also have some bleach on standby. :) You guys really helped me the other day, and my pool is back to sparkly clear!

Tabs in the skimmer are a very bad idea as it damages the plastic parts in the skimmer and can damage the seals in the pump.

Due to the ever increasing level of CYA/Stabilizer that tabs create we do not recommend them as a long term solution for chlorinating your pool. The use of liquid or a salt water chlorine generator are much better options.

So how much bleach to you all typically add to your pools each day?
Enough to maintain 1ppm above my target FC level based on my CYA level per TFPC.

In my 6700 gallon AGP its anywhere between 8 to 16 oz of 12.5% daily.

Have you tried to use Pool Math? It's very helpful while developing your routine.

Dom

Save the pucks for going out of town and be sure to put them in a floater. Don't add chemicals directly to your skimmer, except DE additions if necessary.

Those pucks over time will cause your CYA to creep up. The only way to get rid of CYA is draining and diluting it with fresh water. CYA is easy to add and hard to get rid of. Since your FC level is tied directly to your CYA level it's imperative your CYA level is specifically managed.

Those pucks can also be used to incrementally bump CYA if you're looking to fine tune your CYA PPM. Use PoolMath and see how much CYA 1 puck will add to your pool. But if you get close to your upper level CYA target leave a little space for the times you leave for 4 days and stuff a floater with a bunch of the pucks. That way your FC will hold and your CYA level won't start going too high. You just want to know the exact results of everything you're adding to your pool and don't add things that you're not sure about.

That's why a lot of the all in one type of approaches (pucks) are hard to deal with because they're doing more than just adding chlorine to your pool. Bleach on the other hand will only add chlorine and a touch of salt which is good anyway. No mysteries when all the components of your chemical balancing are ala cart.

Don't try to move a bunch of numbers all at once either. FC is most important to just dump all at once. The other factors should be done spanning doses. It's just easier to move up to a target than to come back from an overshoot.

Wendy, without test results it's also impossible to accurately answer your question, and here's why. To know how much bleach to put in (FC), you need to know your CYA (stabilizer) level. Take a quick peek at the Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig below. For example: Let's imagine your CYA is currently 50, then your target FC level would be 6, and you never want it below 4. Do you see that on the chart?

So, how much bleach do you need to stay at an FC level of 6? It depends on the size of your pool and what your current FC level is right now. I'll use me as an example now: When my pool is balanced, I might put about 1/2 gallon of bleach in each evening. That's it. About a $1.50 worth - maybe slightly less if I really adjust my levels good.

That's the best way I can explain it to you without getting too deep. But I will say this ..... You cannot figure-out those requirements unless you have the proper test kit (see TF-100 link below). That's a must - priority #1. :) Have a nice evening.

I'll use me as an example now: When my pool is balanced, I might put about 1/2 gallon of bleach in each evening. That's it. About a $1.50 worth - maybe slightly less if I really adjust my levels good.
That is about where I am. Every time I fill my Stenner Pump tank I log how many gallons and the date. Simple division tells me that I use less than 1/2 a bottle a day (53oz to be exact).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.