Turned off my SWG for winter

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
First off.. I hope everyone is having a great holiday.

Well folks I have turned off my SWG on the 15th of Dec because my covered pool here in Arizona was not using up the chlorine. I have has levels of FC of 5-8.
Since the 15th I have tested the water weekly and It is down to 5 FC today. All other numbers are stable and good.
This being my first winter here in the desert I was wondering with the cooler temps and my pool being covered and the good levels of FC ....... Is this normal? :-D

I also have my pump running about 3 hrs a day and may even consider reducing it even more.

Any thoughts?

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona. :lol:

Iggy, that sounds pretty normal to me. Of course, the SWG will not function except when the pump is running, and the Goldline can be set down to about 5% (it's default for "spa" operation is 3%), which is a percentage of time it will generate chlorine while the pump is running. Thus, if you just set it at 5% you'd get virtually no new chlorine generated.

I'd not want less circulation than 3hrs. out of 24, but what do your neighbors do?

Iggie - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :santa: :rendeer: :cheers:

As your pool is covered, I think you're best off turning off the SWCG and checking the levels weekly, as you have been - then use bleach to up the cl if you need to while the pump is running. What's the water temp? if the SWCG has been producing the water must be above ~ 50*, but with the pool covered 'nasties' are unlikely to form.

You say your #s are good, so I'll believe you :wink: Just be sure to run the pump if the temps drop below ~30* !

Happy New Year!! :party: and I hope you and yours are well and have a GREAT 2009!!

Ted

I turn off my customers' SWGs once the water is below 60 or so. I have one pool in particular with very high CYA that was at about 12ppm FC a month and a half ago when I turned off the generator. The FC as of last tuesday was still at 8ppm and no CC. And that's an uncovered pool.

Keep testing the water weekly and protect yourself from freezing and you'll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.