has anyone used "POOLSKIM"?

Jun 14, 2007
I have a lot of pollen on top of my pool and in searching for a solution I came across a product called POOLSKIM.

Has anyone used this or heard about it?

I've found only 2 or 3 user reviews online (all 5 star)... but thats not quite enough to convince me to buy it.

Also, would a flocculent help my pollen problem?

Thanks in advance!
:-D

Nope, but I plan to. Just read about the skimmer socks today.

I just think I have SOOOOOO much pollen on the top of the pool that it will never clear just waiting to go thru the filter. I've been running the filter 24/7 and no reduction in pollen.

I'm going to give the socks a try though and see how it goes!

Thanks!

I've noticed more pollen this year than ever. The socks won't reduce what is falling into the pool, but they will catch it before it hits the filter, saving you from more frequent cleanings and bleach consumption.

I've noticed the pollen isn't near as bad any more. Probably the trees that were mass producing it have slowed way down.

This looks pretty cool. One thing I don't like about my pool is that there is only one skimmer and it always seems that the wind is blowing away from the skimmer. That coupled with the large amount of leaves I get in my pool leads to a lot of work.

I think this would work great as a second pseudo skimmer basket for me.

Wonder what they cost?

thanks, guys!

That is where I originally read about the poolskim... a couple people there seem to recommend it highly. So then I googled it and found two more folks who raved about it.

Didn't know if anyone here on this board might have used it. Anyway, I contacted the company and its $65 plus $10 s&h. It may be worth a try. I'd like a few more opinions on it, but I might just go for it anyway. I will definately post my opinion if I get it.

Thanks again everyone!! :)

That poolskim looks okay
I have a ton of pollen ( lots of trees)
and I use a pool-devil-pro... it was only $10 (and I can reuse the socks for it)
and it works awesome!
just conect it with the universal adapter ( in box) and hose provided, to one of your returns

I also use skimmer socks.

the two combined work very well and I almost never have to skim anything out of the pool manually :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yinyang37 said:

I have a lot of pollen on top of my pool and in searching for a solution I came across a product called POOLSKIM.

Has anyone used this or heard about it?

I bought one from InTheSwim.com (I'd make this a clickable link but haven't figured out how, yet) last week. Kind of pricey at $79.99 plus shipping, but I did have it the next day which appealed to my sense of instant gratification :)

It is well worth the money!

We have three dogs who swim several times daily and the amount of dog hair in the skimmer sock was enormous. Moreover, what hair didn't make it into the skimmer would sink to the bottom and had to be scooped out every morning. I run my pump at night for 6 hours and during dog swim session but really only caught a fraction of the hair.

With the PoolSkim, I've reduced nighttime filtration to 4 hours but run the pump for an hour after each session. I have NOT had any dog hair on the bottom of the pool since I installed this device. This is an astonishing difference -- after two years of manually skimming and scooping hair, I'm in heaven!

Another change is that there's no longer any silt/dirt/dust on the bottom of the pool in the mornings but the skimmer sock is 'dirtier' than it had been before. This is the result of a change in water circulation. The catcher sock on the PoolSkim is at an approximately 40° angle to the pool wall and 6" or so below the water surface. Previously, I directed the eyeball to either skim across the water or, if I was mixing chemicals, down toward the bottom. Our pool is an oval and I now seem to get better circulation in the bottom levels, which means the skimmer sock catches the fine debris better and the PoolSkim gets the hair, bugs, leaves and whatnot.

I'm very happy with this device and recommend it highly.

Anna

Hope you don't mind me reviving an old thread, but I have had one of these since I got my pool in 2001 and I love it. We are surrounded by trees and it helps a lot with the leaves. I'm not sure how well it would work for just pollen, though.

I use a solar cover some of the time, and what I used to do is pull the loose inside rim out and set it on the edge of the pool when the cover goes on and put it back in place when the cover comes off. But after 5 years this part got dry and brittle from setting out in the sun so much. (The company replaced our whole unit for 1/2 price.) Now what we do is let that part float in the pool under the cover when the cover is on and put it back in place when the cover is off. This might not make any sense unless you have seen one up close.

Does anyone have any experience with the PoolSkim on a pool with multiple returns? My pool has 4 returns and a fifth one goes to the spa. I'm wondering whether my multiple returns will provide enough pressure for the venturi to work?

Thanks!

Titanium

yea, i have 4 returns too but they put out a ton of pressure, now it creats a votec, but what if i hooked it up to my vac line would it wreck it or work three times as good. just curious.

Have you tried contacting them directly through the email address on the web site? I bet they could connect you with a dealer. That is what they did for us last year when we wrote them to ask about getting replacement parts.

Thanks for the idea of contacting PoolSkim directly. I did so, and the price ended up being $75 plus $15 for shippping, for a total of $90.

My pool is set up such that 4 returns go into the pool and a fifth return, on the tailend of the return line, goes to the spa. For various reasons (farthest away from steps and debris seems to collect there), I wanted to attach the PoolSkim to the fourth pool return fitting, which is the last pool return before the return goes to the spa. This didn't work because when I removed the eyeball fitting and attached the PoolSkim, this removed too much backpressure and ended up starving all of the water from the spa return line. Literally the spa return line went completely dry.

So I ended up attaching the PoolSkim to the first pool return. I am probably a complete geek, but this gadget is too cool in action. The amount of suction created by this little gadget is incredible. And watching it work from underwater is cool too in that the PoolSkim looks like a mini vortex or tornado in action.

The pool was pretty clean from debris (unusual, unfortunately) so I tossed a small handful of pine needles (my main pool debris) near the PoolSkim. Dang it if the darn thing didn't grab 99% of the debris within a minute or so. Very impressive. It appears to do a better job of cleaning up debris than the "real" skimmer.

Hopefully I will know in a day or so how much additional debris it will remove from the pool under real world conditions. So far, I am optimistic that the PoolSkim will dramatically reduce my netting labor.

One concern that I have is that my two little monkeys are going to damage this thing while they are in the pool playing. Does anyone routinely remove their PoolSkim from the pool while the pool is in use?

Titanium

We had some issues with one of the dogs who thought the floating hat was a Frisbee and kept trying to retrieve it. Once we got it across to him that this was NOT A TOY, he left it alone though he'll shoot a quick look at the bobbing thing whenever he swims past.

We leave ours in at all times. I do take the net and cylinder out when I set the pump to HIGH for vacuuming, leaving just the PVC piping.

Glad you were able to get one and that it is working well for you. We have had ours for 6 years and never removed it. We don't often have kids in the pool, and when we do they are guests so there have been no incidents of kids playing with it or damaging it. We do pull the hat off when we put the solar cover on, but that's it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.