Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just signed the contract yesterday and so excited to see this project come to life! Would love some opinions and input about a couple options:

Our builder is using Fort Wayne product line and I love the idea of a "step" or "ledge" in the deep end...thoughts? I wonder if it will just get too "cluttered" with the diving board and ladder?

Liner: I know for sure I don't want a deep blue. I love the look of either a tan or grey liner. Trying for an "aqua" water - without getting too green...thoughts? Our decking will be stamped concrete - keeping it a gray color...

Thank you in advance! :D

I have seen MANY people adding sitting benches in there deep end and loving it! Just make sure it will not be so close to the diving board as to be a head hitter.

There are SO many different colors! Look through some of the pool builds on here to get some ideas of what they look like with water in them!

Kim

We have the bench in our deep end, and its the primary hangout in our pool, which I never would have guessed prior to putting it in! I thought that would be our tanning ledge. We also have a waterfall, jump rock, and a ladder. We put the ladder pretty far down the deep end, almost the middle of the pool - and honestly if I could avoid having it I would - I never use the ladder, we all get out from the bench in the deep end. As to the color, there is another build on here who just replaced his vinyl and his water looks awesome if you are looking for aqua. I will try to find the name of the vinyl but I know it was Latham..

Here is the best shot I can find of ours...
04ca4fec32a18bd44618cc0f9f168e6c.jpg

Obviously cluttered now with 10 floats haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are still patiently waiting to begin our project. It should happen in the next 1-2 weeks. I have loved this forum so much! It's so interesting to see all the different builds.

We did decide to put a step in the deep end and take out the ladder. I will try to attach the build diagram. (Not sure exactly what that is called...)

Here's another item I would love feedback on: we definitely want a hot tub, but are a little back-and-forth as to whether or not to make it a spillover into the pool. On one hand I LOVE the water-feature idea of having it be an actual part of the pool. Plus it would help to heat it and I imagine would be easier to maintain the water. But on the other - I wonder if we would have a "stronger" or "better" spa experience with a free-standing unit. Keeping in mind that our pool is vinyl...

So...ready...set...GO! Help us spend our $$!! :D:splash:

Spending YOUR money oh yeah! LOL

Make is a spillover. It does NOT have to spill over. I am sure you can "isolate" the spa from the pool if you wanted to using valves on the piping.

Just think-------"OH I am a little hot in the spa so I will slip over the spillover that has such pretty tiles on it into the cooler pool water" "Oh I am a little chilly. I am going to jump into the spa to warm up"

Can I pick out your tile for the spill over? LOL I like shiny ones! Jewels!

Kim

You can have a free standing hot tub spill over into the pool and get the best of both worlds. Check out Pinterest for ideas. I would definitely have it spill over into the pool! Kim's nailed all my best reasons. Also, in my yard, it would be better to have it next to the pool. My yard is small enough that putting it in another location would chop up the space too much. And, having them together is better for chatting and sipping adult beverages with people enjoying the pool AND spa at the same time!
Suz.

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are still patiently waiting to begin our project. It should happen in the next 1-2 weeks. I have loved this forum so much! It's so interesting to see all the different builds.

We did decide to put a step in the deep end and take out the ladder. I will try to attach the build diagram. (Not sure exactly what that is called...)

Here's another item I would love feedback on: we definitely want a hot tub, but are a little back-and-forth as to whether or not to make it a spillover into the pool. On one hand I LOVE the water-feature idea of having it be an actual part of the pool. Plus it would help to heat it and I imagine would be easier to maintain the water. But on the other - I wonder if we would have a "stronger" or "better" spa experience with a free-standing unit. Keeping in mind that our pool is vinyl...

So...ready...set...GO! Help us spend our $$!! :D:splash:

I went through many of the same decisions you are currently going through. First for the Liner color I also was between Gray and Tan, both make the water look outstanding IMO. We went with Gray because we have a lot of trees and wanted less green. Gray has less green, it is more blue. I suggest you try to see both in person, if not look at pictures on here. Search Gerano, you will see the one I am getting (Hopefully next week), you can also search torino and it will show you pics of the tan liner.

From a Spa standpoint I was dead set on a spillover 2 years ago when we started this adventure, then we kept researching and changed our minds. Keep in mind I am in New England so the Spillover would only be used 4-5 months or so out of the year, the Stand Alone we could use year round and we fully intend to. Now that we have the stand alone we are so Happy we didn't get the spillover, although it looks great, the Spa capabilities do not compare. It is really just bubbles and warm water where the Stand alone is therapeutic. My wife has a bad back and it has proved to be very good for her. Mine is really close to the pool so the kids can still go back and forth to extend the pool season.

I will say the Spa would have been a lot more difficult choice if I were down South, but looking back I know I made the right decision for our situation. We took the money we saved for the Spillover (It costs about $5K more then the Stand Alone) and put it towards Laminars and pool options.

Good Luck!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just looked up the Gemini shape, with that shape they can build a bench where it kicks out between the shallow and deep end. Look up my build post and you will see exactly what I mean. I started with a similar shape and then went custom, the PB did not charge any more for custom, just a thought.

I love the shape by the way!!!

A tiny bit of progress to report. We built our house 11 years ago this summer...and though we knew where our power and phone lines were...oops! Incorrect! So power has already been rerouted and phone company is coming today! It's the little things! Hoping to start digging next week...

Here's a photo of the area we'll be building...the pool will be to the right side of the house...

DSC_5679.jpg

Well...no moving the phone line today...the lovely gentleman got here right around 4pm to let me know he couldn't do the move because the subcontractor that his company works for just got bought out...

I am thinking it was just too dang close to the end of the day and he wasn't feeling my project! :(

Phone line finally got relocated yesterday, and I think we are on track to begin our build next week! Warning: photo overload to come! :)

Here's my hubby clearing a bit of undergrowth and a few trees before the project begins...
DSC_5658.jpg

And our sweet girls enjoying the slip-n-slide and kiddie pool...
DSC_5673.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5673.jpg
    DSC_5673.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 384
Fun starts this afternoon! Builder coming out to lay out the pool and we dig tomorrow!

Couple little last minute polling questions...where's Kim - she likes to spend that $$. (By the way - have you done your debt-free scream?)

To Autofill or not? Hubby is happy to just use the hose pipe. I wonder if this is just one more little something to give trouble?

Umbrella Sleeves? Cheap enough, or just use a base? We won't have any umbrellas physically inside the pool - just considering putting them around the deck?

Thanks for reading. I won't sleep tonight!! ;)

Sara

We are doing 4 umbrella sleeves in the decking around the pool. One on each side of the deep end bench and one on each side of our tanning shelf (that way we can switch according to am or pm sun and still have shade. The sun comes up on the left side and sets on the right side of our pool). Our neighbors have the sleeves and I prefer the look and ease of them set into the decking instead of having to move a stand around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.