Looking to replace 9 inch Bullnose Coping...Need Advice Please

Mar 5, 2015
Norman, OK
Hi All,
I recently bought a home with a concrete pool with 9 inch red brick bullnose coping. It has always bothered me that the coping is slightly deteriorating on many of the bricks, chipping and breaking away at the "bullnose" part. I am looking to replace them so as to improve the aesthetics as well as safety since I have already cut my finger on a sharp edge. My questions are as follows:
Should I replace the coping with something very similar in material like a clay brick, or are there better options?
What kind of cost can I expect? The pool is 20x40 with the corners obviously cut.
Is it a fairly DIYable project to pop the old coping and install new? I am pretty hand, but not an expert.

Thank you all in advance!

Sorry its taken so long to reply to your post. Your post has been in the queue, we're just watching for someone to reply who has experience with coping and concrete work to better serve you. Like you, I'm a DIY'er, but if you follow MY advice on this one, it may look like a jigsaw puzzle. :) Keep checking back with us for an update. We're happy to have you with us and hope you enjoy your evening.

By the way, very nice looking pool.

Thank you for the reply! I figured with so many older pools out there this would be a more common question with an easy answer, but possibly not. I searched on here and google and didn't turn up too much helpful info that I could find. Thanks again all in advance!

I would think this project will be a little involved for a DIYer. You are going to have to saw cut the edges of the coping (concrete side) along the entire pool and use a chipping gun to remove the coping. It will be a mess as all or most of the construction debris will fall into the pool. I would contract this one out and get several estimates. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. Could you please explain in a little more detail what you mean by saw cutting on the concrete side? I planned to use a floating insulation board or something similar to try to keep debris out of the pool, which I think would work pretty decently if held/taped firmly against the pool wall.

I bet you'll find that the bullnose coping comes up pretty easy with a rubber mallet from the bottom of the water side of the pool...I was amazed with how easily they removed it to reset it in my recent plaster/tile job. There was one spot where they cut the mortar line with a cutting wheel, but for the most part, it came up almost completely by hand and in pieces of 4-8 bricks at a time.

Saw cutting is when a concrete saw is used to cut concrete. A gas powered concrete saw is common for this. IMHO you will have to saw cut the line in between the coping and concrete deck. This would be the edge of the coping that is butted up to the concrete, approximately 9 1/4 inches away from the pool. If the coping was mortared/cemented in, they will NOT be easily removed. Also the reason for the saw cut will leave you a nice clean line at the edge of the concrete deck.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you'll find that the bullnose coping comes up pretty easy with a rubber mallet from the bottom of the water side of the pool...I was amazed with how easily they removed it to reset it in my recent plaster/tile job. There was one spot where they cut the mortar line with a cutting wheel, but for the most part, it came up almost completely by hand and in pieces of 4-8 bricks at a time.

Perhaps you had Bullnose pavers ?? Pavers are NOT installed using mortar/cement.

If you have an expansion joint between the coping and deck you won’t need to use a concrete saw.

To do it right you’d have to empty the pool of water. If you want all the brick level and a nice grout line at the tile line it’s best to set the brick from within the pool. With water in the pool you’ll get dust and debris in the pool even if you put plastic down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Saw cutting is when a concrete saw is used to cut concrete. A gas powered concrete saw is common for this. IMHO you will have to saw cut the line in between the coping and concrete deck. This would be the edge of the coping that is butted up to the concrete, approximately 9 1/4 inches away from the pool. If the coping was mortared/cemented in, they will NOT be easily removed. Also the reason for the saw cut will leave you a nice clean line at the edge of the concrete deck.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps you had Bullnose pavers ?? Pavers are NOT installed using mortar/cement.

No, they were bricks just like that---over time the mortar underneath them gives from what I understand, and they start to get loose. I had a couple of loose ones, and asked the tile crew to reset them all.

Thank you all. There is an expansion joint present already, so I don't believe I would have to cut up against the decking at all and would probably be able to just keep the existing expansion joint? I have not tried pulling or knocking on any of them as I don't want to pop them until ready for the project, but none seem loose to the feel or step, so I am guessing the mortar is still fairly strong. The brick coping itself is what is aging and breaking off.
Also, I got quotes for $1.60-$1.80 per piece for the coping. Any estimate as to how many I will need? I would go outside and count, but I am not home and the pictures are difficult to count all the way through. Pool is 40x20 with the corners obviously cut in.

Also, I got quotes for $1.60-$1.80 per piece for the coping. Any estimate as to how many I will need? I would go outside and count, but I am not home and the pictures are difficult to count all the way through. Pool is 40x20 with the corners obviously cut in.

Is that for labor or the bricks themselves?

How wide are your bricks? If you want a rough number, use 120 linear feet, since it will be less with the corners cut in.

That price is just for the bricks themselves. I believe they are 4 inches wide, however the real measurement is 3 5/8 from all of the brick suppliers, so I am guessing this is fairly standard. Is this price considerably high? I am getting the feeling this kind of coping isnt as common now a days, maybe jacking the price up a bit?

It is a retro look that is coming back so..........they are charging more.

Kim

I'm glad it's coming back, pool company who did my replaster wanted to convince me to replace with something else, and I immediately refused. I love the look myself...

f0305ae971cd6cd64636c65bdeeab138.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.