new pool build

Oct 14, 2008
We are in the process of building a new pool and was wondering if I can get any pros and cons regarding pool decking. At first thought about going with pea gravel and now thinking about the americoat pool decking. Any help is appreciated.

Lots of choices for sure. What part of the world are you in? Do you have shady spots on the proposed deck, or will it be all sun-exposed?
I ask because, for example, using Pennsylvania Bluestone as decking in southern climes is pretty brutally hot on toes and buns! In my world your choices go from brick pavers, travertine, concrete pavers, brushed concrete, "cool deck", spraydeck, and combos of stone and grass/gravel. You want to match or compliment your pool coping and tile (or vinyl liner color/pattern), too.

Hi there, thanks so much for responding. First off you should know that we are in Texas near Houston. The weather is hot, hot, hot. The pool will be in the sun full time, no shade. We had narrowed the deck down to either pea gravel which gets hot or the cool deck (not sure of the exact brand of that) Our first choice was the pea gravel but in rethinking about it now we are wondering what anyone knows about the cool deck and is it durable, expensive, practical, easy to keep clean and does anyone love it or hate it. I just don't know anything about it and if it is a wise choice or not. If you happen to know anything about this product I would appreciate your help.

I am in the deck business. If you want something hot that is rough on your feet get pea gravel.
If you want cheap, plain jane get brushed concrete.
If you want decorative color, cooler than concrete and slip resistant get the spray deck.
Stay away from the real Kooldeck. It needs to go on right after the pour and if its not done right it comes off. Also, if they put it on too thick it will hurt your feet. Like walking on the moon.

Look to pay $1.75-$3.50 sq ft for the Spraydeck depending on the sq ft and any patterns or colors.
Make sure the Spraydeck guys have references and pictures of their work. Many guys get pictures from the MFG's and they have nothing they have done to show you. You get what you pay for. Make sure they put on at least 2 coats of finish over the Spraydeck. We use an airless.

Pavers are great but expensive. They may run $10+ a sq ft.

gregg123 said:
I am in the deck business. If you want something hot that is rough on your feet get pea gravel.
If you want cheap, plain jane get brushed concrete.
If you want decorative color, cooler than concrete and slip resistant get the spray deck.
Stay away from the real Kooldeck. It needs to go on right after the pour and if its not done right it comes off. Also, if they put it on too thick it will hurt your feet. Like walking on the moon.

Look to pay $1.75-$3.50 sq ft for the Spraydeck depending on the sq ft and any patterns or colors.
Make sure the Spraydeck guys have references and pictures of their work. Many guys get pictures from the MFG's and they have nothing they have done to show you. You get what you pay for. Make sure they put on at least 2 coats of finish over the Spraydeck. We use an airless.

Pavers are great but expensive. They may run $10+ a sq ft.

Many of my dealers are fond of SGM's Spraydeck, too. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.