Second test low CL

Jun 8, 2015
Rocklin Ca
I did a complete test on my pool yesterday so today Using the K-1000 test kit CL 0.5, yesterday (adding a bag of Cal-Hypo 12 hours before test) CL 5.0. So I had this same problem last year and this year is about the same. What I’ve done under the guidance of pool store, shock the pool lost count of how many times, Couple of Algaecide treatments, I did have allege, started a weekly treatment Phos-Free (snake oil) After the algaecide treatments I did clean the filters. The pool looks really clean but when I sweep it dose get a slight look of dust sometimes I do have a lot of tall trees around the yard after a windy day pool dose its job of stopping flying debris. So could be debris or maybe mustard algae. So what should my next step be? I’ll post the test from yesterday and today Did not retest CYA (50) or CH.(225) I did add acid to lower PH
Test 1
FC - 3 (TC .5)
TA - 110
K-1000 test kit
PH - 8
CL – 5

Test 2
FC - 0.5
TA – 100
K-1000 test kit
PH – 7.5
CL – 0.5

Is it common to have to use a Gal of CL or bag of Shock a day? I do have liquid CL, a couple bags of shock left wont be using bags after there gone.
BTW have the TF- 100 test kit

I think an overnight loss test is called for.

After dinner, add enough bleach to get to around 10 FC. Leave the pump on. After the sun stops shining on the water and nobody will be getting in, test the FC using the FAS-DPD chlorine test in your TF100. Set the alarm clock early and get out there and retest the FC using the FAS-DPD test before the sun hits it again. If you lost more than 1, something is eating your chlorine and you need to kill it with the Shock Level And Maintain process. If you didn't lose any significant amount, then it's just sunlight and bather load using up all the chlorine.

Hello SacDave! By using the numbers you posted above you have a chlorine problem - it's low. If your CYA is actually 50, your target FC is 6, and NEVER lower than 4 or algae will bloom. Looks like you need to follow the SLAM procedures (link below).

Also, Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Let us know if we can help you further. Have a nice day.

That's correct - Shock, (stay) Level, and definitely "Maintain" that FC. The water is suitable from your pool's minimum FC to the SLAM FC level on the Chlorine/CYA Chart ... to include water being clear. Best to not get in the nasty stuff (recreationally) unless you are actively scrubbing or something.

Kind of whats confusing me the water is extremely clear so from episodes with algae before at the night when the lights on you can see all the particles in the water, now with the light the water looks clearer than most the time. I'll try that CL test tonight and see what happens in the morning. I also just pulled the filters didn't look to bad but I gave them a quick cleaning anyway. Now I've been reading various post I notice a real dislike for Algicides can you explain what thats all about? I can see if your pool is maintaining the correct chemical balance no need for it, but if you have a problem would an algicide be another tool ? My thinking on this is if you're slamming your pool and running your pump 24/7 adding chlorine that could get pretty costly. Keep in mind I think the pool supply are full of snake oils. Thanks again for the replies.

Algaecide is like insurance to help stop algae from starting. If you maintain the correct FC level, then you do not need it.
Once algae is in the water, chlorine is the best way to kill it ... and lots of it.

Some algaecides react with and use up a lot of chlorine
Some algaecides create unsightly foam
Some algaecides leave blond swimmers with green hair

They might be useful in a pool that is winterized. It's also cheap insurance if someone is leaving their pool unattended for long periods of time while on vacation. Otherwise it's just another profit center for the pool store.

I turned the pump on with the pool sweep on, swept the pool, pored two gal of 10% CL in the pool. After an 1.5 hours I tested the FC 15 . Also with the lights on the pool has a green tint first time i've seen that. So i'll check in the morning. My Cl is at shock levels I was shooting for an FC of 10. On the pool math I entered FC .5 goal FC 10 it gave me 4.7 gal I can't imagine the numbers if I the 4.7gal in. I'll post what the FC level is in the morning. I did leave the pool sweep on set the pump at 1250RPM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well, looks like you passed the OCLT then. yellow could be from metals, since you have added algaecides in the past. check FC level again when you get home and see how much it dropped during the day

really need to know your CYA level too to keep proper FC levels. based on what you mentioned as treatments in the past, your CYA is likely very high.

as far as your FC level being off, did you input the correct % strength for the chlorine? make sure that matches. if not, then your pool size is probably off and you are smaller than 20,000 gallons.

for a FC at 0.5 and a target of 10.0 with a 20,000 gallon pool, it shows me 2.2 jugs of bleach at 8.25% What do you have input for the % concentration??

It's in poolmath. There's a box where you plug in the strength of the bleach. Not all bleach is the same strength, and the stuff sold as pool chlorine is usually 10 or 12%. It'll say on the label somewhere. If it doesn't, don't buy it.

Where it says Add Amount of strength% bleach. dropdown menu Jug size .

Thanks I just checked the CYA 50 is what I come with.
Pool math FC second column Add - amount - of (white square) put in 10% - trade?- %bleach Jug size- 128 oc so that gives me 1 gallon 3 quarts 2 cups or 1.9( 128 oz) jugs. so would that be the right? If that's right 1.9 is still about two jugs what I added but still about an FC of 15, so I'm thinking my FC 0.5 was incorrect or my pool is smaller than 20,000 gallons, I have the contract for the pool it states 20,0000 gal. I also did the math I came close to 20,000.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.