Leak in fiberglass pool

matpat

Jun 23, 2009
Dayton, OH
Over two weeks in to June and we can't swim because of a leak in the pool. I can't seem to attach a photo but it has leaked below the skimmer, returns, and light niches over the past 7-10 days. The water level has remained mostly stable over the past week at about 18" below the top of the pool. Besides a leak in the shell itself (which I can't see), the only thing left is my main drain and/or plumbing from it to the filter.

While 18" isn't too deep of a hole to dig, can anyone give me some input on other possible ways to detect the leak, without calling a leak expert? At this point I can only assume the leak is in the plumbing (flex tubing, I think) from the main drain. I'll dig a long hole to find the leak in the tubing as long as it's less than two feet deep :D

Sorry to hear about that matpat. Have you seen this page: Pool School - Leak Detection

You may receive some other advise from members how had to do some creative leak research. There are lots of "leak" results in the "Search" feature. I wish you luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you continue to have problems trying to post a pic, let us know. Most of us link pics from Photobucket by copying & pasting the IMG code back to the post.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I started at the Pool School - Leak detection article and have read about every post on leaks I can find. I have some pics of the plumbing I took when the pool was installed. I just don't want to have to dig if I don't have too, lol.

Do you have a way to separate flow (shut-off) the main drain versus your skimmer? If it turned-out to be your main drain, shoot, maybe just close it off. There are bigger pools than yours without a main drain - mine (FB) for example! :) You can still manage your water chemistry just fine with out the main drain "if" that's what it turned-out to be. Just a thought.

Otherwise, lately I've had no problems employing the help of my teenage boys to put their strong backs to use for a "unique" job opportunity just like this one - digging. I save some energy, they earn a few bucks .. win-win.

I've been semi-lucky so far. I guesstimated where to start digging and after about two shovelfuls of sand I found the main drain line. I was about a foot down and a foot under the concrete when it started pouring rain so I stopped. Hopefully I can find the leak without going too far under the concrete. If not, I'll brace the concrete to be safe. I can't believe I hit the spot on the first try! No teenagers here to help but my 9 & 12 y/o can help later ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.