Is it safe to swim while filling a new Intex pool

Jun 17, 2015
Georgia
We have an 18 x 48 ultra frame pool. Using the BBB method of filling. I only have test strips as of right now.
I can post those results if needed. Since it's only been filling since yesterday afternoon I'm thinking it's relatively
fresh water and has several doses of bleach so far. 7 yo daughter is begging to swim and we are about
2/3 the way full. Any issues with letting her swim?

thanks for the quick responses!!! I haven't measured the actual gallons yet but Intex states it's 6,400 gallons. So according to that, that my dose is 1 cup of bleach. It had one cup after 6 inches full, 4 cups last night, and two so far today. 6 way test strips say it's a "1, ok, light pink". Pool is in the direct sun for several hours late morning and afternoon so i know we need to add stabilizer. We have granule CYA and I can add that...it's just the BBB method I was following said wait until pool is full. Should I go ahead and add that with the tube sock technique? P.S. I have ordered a better kit but it will take a few days to get here.

- - - Updated - - -

That was total chlorine I listed. FC is Ok and high OK. Sorry - complete novice here!

According to Pool Math an 18' X 48" pool filled to 42" (or 3.5') depth (almost up to the grey top part of the liner) is 6700 gallons, and that is what I use for my 18' X 48" Ultra Frame. Works perfect for me.

Dom

New fill on Intex - adding CYA

Hi - we are almost full in our new pool. I was going to do the sock method for the CYA. The pool math calculator says 36 oz by volume (or 34 oz by weight) for my size pool. That seems a lot to start with since you can't lower it after the fact very easily. What do you guys think? My FC just checked at "OK" on my crappy test strips. (new kit coming in the mail). Water is a just a tinge greenish but clear. And I mean just a tinge greenish cast. It's is the sun so I want to get some stablizer in there. So new and lost so any help is appreciated!!!

I merged your threads .... keep related questions together, please.

That is the amount to get you to 40ppm ... If your volume is right, then no issue with adding it all at once and then assuming you are at a CYA of 40ppm to determine your FC levels.

How many ppm are you calculating to add? I would start with 30ppm. Definitely need to get it in there pronto. And squeeze the sock several times per day to speed it up.

Use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to set you chlorine level based on your CYA level. Keep it at or slightly above target at all times so that your pool is sanitized and algae free.

BTW, it takes CYA about a week to fully dissolve and register on the CYA test, so don't test until a week passes.

Given your location, I see no reason to go to 30ppm and then add more due to the intense sun.
You know it is 0ppm now.
You know the pool volume (easier than a freeform IG pool).
You know that adding 34oz by weight WILL add 40ppm.
There is no mystery here or reason to "sneak up" on the CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much - you guys are awesome! So when would you suggest I switch to the SWG I bought and add salt? I was thinking getting everything stabilized and wait for my test kit to arrive and also the salt test strips. I have been playing with the pool calculator and learning how that works. And ya know what, I ordered the HTH-60 kit and now have read that one is not so hot. The older pool forum said it would suffice for 4-6 weeks and i figured that would be fine. I bet I wasted my money.

Oh with a plan to go with a SWG, I would certainly not just target 30ppm for the CYA ... in fact I might go right to 50ppm. And then when the SWG is installed, bump it to 70-80ppm.

You can add the salt any time (good to check current level, I prefer the Taylor drop salt test) ... pour it in and let the kids play with it to get it dissolved ;)
You want to run the pump 24 hours after adding salt before you turn the SWG on.

That kit will be OK for the near term ... the chlorine test is lacking and you will run out of CYA reagent quickly.
Certainly would suggest investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.