Used Raypak Heater

Jul 19, 2010
OH
We need to replace our Hayward H250 pool heater and need some advice. Our neighbor is filling in his pool and has offered us his 10-year old 266K Raypak digital unit free of charge. It hasn't been used in 3 years and I will have to pay someone $500 to move it next door to our house to see if it'll work. It is very tempting as I am getting quotes of $3200 - $3500 for purchase and installation of a new unit. I also don't understand why the pool company quotes are so high. The pool stores sell the same heater for much less. Any advice is appreciated.

Why dont you move it and install it yourself? It is not that hard at all. Im almost positive you will need a longer piece of black pipe as the hayward heater gas valve is on the left side and the raypack is more in the middle of the unit. You will also need the manifold ends for the raypack heater as they are different than the hayward. See if you can get them too and you would only need to use a union to connect the water pipes. Its not that difficult of a job at all and probably would only take you two hours yourself.

I was told we needed to have a certified gas plumber install and hook it up. What do you think the chances are that it'll work. Also, can anyone tell me why the pool company's charge so much for a new heater and installation?? Why is that I can order a brand new unit off of Inyopools for @ $1500 yet they list $3000 on their quote? Am I missing something?

Did the certified gas plumber tell you that you needed a certified gas plumber? Just kidding, depending on local regulations that might be required but even then that might just be the gas. You could still get a dolly, move it to your pad, plump it (or hire that done by a handyman). Then hire plumber just for gas connection.

The price difference is why the brick and mortar stores, especially speciality stores (like pools) can't complete. Not that I feel bad for them necessarily, but they just don't have the volume to match pricing of an internet provider that never handles the product but rather just processes an order and a drop shipment from the manufacturer or warehouse.

BTW, my experience with inyo was good. There are some disclaimers on warranties on internet purchases that you should consider as well. Though it wasnt worth $1500 for me.

Not sure where you are located but the one I just replaced a few years ago in the Midwest was around 10 years old. I dumped about 500 bucks in it the prior few years. I wish I just had bought a new one instead of repairs prior. My 400btu was qouted from a pool company at $3300 bucks installed. I ended buying it from the internet for $2000 and installed it myself. It was a direct replacement so all the PVC lined up but I just had to add some water proof conduit for the electronics since they moved the insert up on the newer version.

Not sure where you are located but the one I just replaced a few years ago in the Midwest was around 10 years old. I dumped about 500 bucks in it the prior few years. I wish I just had bought a new one instead of repairs prior. My 400btu was qouted from a pool company at $3300 bucks installed. I ended buying it from the internet for $2000 and installed it myself. It was a direct replacement so all the PVC lined up but I just had to add some water proof conduit for the electronics since they moved the insert up on the newer version.

I am in Ohio so I suspect wear and tear would be similar. I am tempted to just order it off of Inyo and hire someone to install it or do it myself. Thanks for feedback.

$3200-$3500, I would hope that is for a 400K BTU unit.

As for the $500 to hook one up, if they are doing everything, electric, plumbing, and gas, I'd say that's about right. If I did that type of thing I wouldn't charge less than $400-$500.

$3200-$3500, I would hope that is for a 400K BTU unit.

As for the $500 to hook one up, if they are doing everything, electric, plumbing, and gas, I'd say that's about right. If I did that type of thing I wouldn't charge less than $400-$500.

Nope, charging that much for a 266K unit. I can't remember exact reason for their much higher price - I think one guy said you don't get a good (or any) warranty when you order it offline. I believe I read on Inyo's site that the one year warranty is good as long as certified installer install the unit. I am not sure what constitutes a certified installer or where i find one in Cbus. Need to make a decision soon - the pool is way too cool for me. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are not having to pull a permit to do this install (no inspection upon completion), i would say, who will know if i used a cert plumber or not?

If you buy the heater from a local guy, you should be getting the full warranty from the manufacturer, unlike if you buy online (30-60 days). This (no warranty) is what the manufacturer should be beginning to do to help out the B&M shops. When you buy online, B&M are trying to make up for the lost sale buy charging a flat fee to install that item (500.00), weather the install is easy or not. You also have to understand that costs to come out, pay a tech, pay insurance(s), pay fuel, pay W&T on the vehicle, etc, add up. We are beginning to do the same, for better or worse. We usually give a little on the install when you buy item from us, markup makes up the difference.

Online prices are great when you are on that side of the fence, but it's killing us...

Edit after reading your post: Manufacturers should still be phasing out any kind of warranty longer than 60 days regardless of who installs for online purchases.

I'm all for supporting local shops, as I believe they have their value. I do put my money where my mouth is, as I have paid more to local shops when I could've bought it cheaper over the Internet or at a big chain store. But when somebody is quoting 3,200 - 3,500 for 266k heater, they can't complain when the customer goes somewhere else (local or not).

I'm all for supporting local shops, as I believe they have their value. I do put my money where my mouth is, as I have paid more to local shops when I could've bought it cheaper over the Internet or at a big chain store. But when somebody is quoting 3,200 - 3,500 for 266k heater, they can't complain when the customer goes somewhere else (local or not).

That price is crazy absurd for a 266K unit. That lower price is more inline for a 400K unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.