Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I have been fairly successful with the angle of my returns, but given the shape of my pool and the placement of the returns and skimmer, wondered if anyone had any ideas for better circular movement. Please see the picture for placement. Prevailing wind is typically from the west (the picture is oriented pointing almost due north). Having said that, I do live on a peninsula and the wind shifts often.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 107
My reply was initially not so much based on confirming whether or not angling the jets clockwise or counter-clockwise one way or the other is best, but simply to say that's a lovely shot from that angle. Nice pool and color. :)

However ... the more I look ... I would tend to think that perhaps flowing counter-clockwise as viewed from this pic might be best. Almost seems as though if I tried to angle the top-most return (near the skimmer) towards the steps, it might not have the best angle in relation to the next jet to make the rotation and conflict with the flow. Just a thought. :)

To me, intuitively, it looks like if you go CC the flow of water would tend to naturally miss the skimmer and be directed towards the top of the pool and then back left. It's not like your middle return can direct the water straight to the skimmer, and the little inlet part of the kidney would seem to direct the water from the bottom jet towards the top of the pool as well.

If you go clockwise, the water has a nice, gentle, uninterrupted "ramp" to go around the pool and into the skimmer.

Edit: Actually, I guess with the right return jet (maybe the hayward hydro one) you might be able to point that middle return straight at the skimmer. I'd still lean towards clockwise myself, though.

Depending upon the flowrate out of that NE return, if you aim it at the skimmer it's likely the water will just bounce off the walls around the skimmer and not much will be sucked in. However if you run both jets clockwise there will likely be a deadspot at the steps.

Maybe try setting the South return counter clockwise, and the NE return downwards, you'll have to play around with it to find the best angle. The idea is to get the surface flow from the South jet to pass over the downwards flow from NE jet. This works for me in a similar situation.

Thank you for your ideas and comments (and compliment from Texas Splash). I obviously can't change the plumbing at this point which is why I started this thread to begin with. The placement seems to negate a circular movement. I'm trying the CC movement with the south jet and a downward direction of the NE jet. I"ll see what I get when I get home tonight.

Small changes on the downwards angle of that NE jet will make a big difference!!! If you point it towards the N the flow may hit the floor and well up in front of the skimmer, forcing surface debris away from the skimmer. W or even SW might turn out to be best. Figure on this taking days to fully sort out, I found I had to wait about half an hour after each change for the flows to settle out.

Also for my pool a gentle circulation proved to be better than trying to blast the stuff around the pool, particularly at the skimmer where the surface flow towards the skimmer needed to match the surface flow being pulled into the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.