Want to be prepared, pool going up

Jun 16, 2015
Clarksville
We have a 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame Pool, bought the saltwater system. Thought we'd be good, but saw a post from a guy that had the same set up and his water is green immediately. Do we need a skimmer? I thought the saltwater system would be easier. How often will we need to test, or if it's clear, does that mean it's good? I know I sound really ignorant, just didn't know it would be complicated.

Congrats on finding TFP and your new pool.

I recommend you invest in a recommended test kit such as the TF 100linked in my signature or the Taylor K 2006. The only way your pool will go green is neglecting it and not maintaining the proper FC levels. These tests will help you to maintain your pool properly.

The SWG is designed to help maintain your FC level so you don't have to add bleach daily. It is a learning curve on figuring out how long to run it daily.

You don't have to have askimmer, but it saves a lot of time by not having to manually skim the top with a net skimmer.

I also recommend getting a manual vaccume such as the Pool Blaster Max to keep debris out of the bottom. Brush pool daily and vacuum as needed.

Have you discovered Pool School Yet? There are great articles in there.
I recommend ABC's of pool water chemestry
Recomended Levels
To start with. But feel free to read through other too.

Pool Math is your friend too. It will help you know how much of what you should add.

We do not trust pool store results or test strips.

It's not complicated. You need the right amount of salt to generate the right amount of chlorine, and the right amount of CYA to keep the chlorine in the pool, and you have tests available to measure all of these things.

First order of business is to your chlorine numbers into spec using liquid chlorine. (at least that what I use)
Then using Pool Math, get your CYA up to the required level.
Then add salt to get to the level needed by your chlorine generator. Be careful to not over salt your system. It easy to do.
Have some pool strength acid on hand, as your chlorine generator will require you to add it periodically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.