Have stains in my pool, now what??

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
Our pool is open, cleaned, and balanced.
What I was thinking were dirt stains, are something else entirely.
After reading up in Pool School on my problem, I figured out it has to be metal staining.
My Alkaline lever were way low (40 - 50)
I have it up to 60 - 70, still have to get some more baking soda in order to get it up a bit more.
My question is, do I need to add a sequeterant or will the stains fade by themselfes over time with the proper water balance?

Attachments

• stain.jpg
    stain.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 50
Hello. Often in the case with metals in the pool, a type of sequestrate is recommended. Keep in mind however that a metal sequestrant holds onto metals to prevent them from staining pool surfaces. It's only needed if you've got metals (iron, copper, manganese) in your water, such as sometimes occurs in well water. So if you truly do have metal levels in the water, a sequestrant may be just for you. As for the staining, there are different methods posted on this site to address stains, each different upon the type of pool

To assist you better, you might want to clarify a couple things for us since I'm sure others will be looking for these answers as well to give you the best reply:
- How do you know (for sure) you have metals? Was the water actually tested locally by someone (i.e. type metal, levels, etc)
- Do you have your own regular test kit? If so, what kind is it please?
- Please post a full set of your own test numbers so we can compare to the rest of your water quality.

Your response(s) should help get us on track to better assist you.

Thank you for your reply.
I did not have the water tested for metals.
I noticed some stains in my pool last year, but was thinking that I got some deck stain splashed into the water while sealing our wood deck.
When I opened the pool this spring, the stain was everywhere, exept were some leaves were on the bottom while the cover was on all winter long.
At first I thought it was dust, or dead algea that would vaccum up, but no luck. I scrubbed and shocked.
My 2nd thought was bleached liner. I looked at some images of that, wasn't it.
Looked at other possible stain images. Everything pointed to metal stains.
"Where in the world woul I get metal stains from???" I filled with tap water years ago, only refilled every year during opening, always from the waterhose. We are on city water.
I read here that it is possible to have metals in the water without knowing. But it is noticable when the TA is way to low. So I checked my level, and it was 40!!! I never checked before.
After adding baking soda to raise it to 70, I don't know if I need to get it higher or not.
My water is crystal clear.

Here are the other numbers
FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH vinyl pool
CYA 55
Salt added 3 bags of Diamond Crystal 40-lbs Salt Pellets
Temp 84

The stains are still there. I suspect metal stains, just from looking at other images, but don't know 100%

Thanks in advance for any help.

I agree. If you still think you may have metals in the water, going to the pool store to test for metals is one of the very few things we recommend going there for. Just remember to close your ears when they give advice about anything else. :) Your testing above looks quite solid.

By the way....... I don't think we ever asked this question earlier ..... you never put any type of unusual pool store chemicals in your pool before did you (i.e. algaecide)? Some of them have been known to add metals is why I ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.