CYA Sock Method

Jun 25, 2010
I have read on here a few threads about using the "Sock Method" for dissolving CYA into the pool. my question is does the type of "sock" matter? i.e. panty hose vs. cotton sock? does one dissolve faster than the other?

Thanks for the help

Eric

Never thought about it. I just use a skimmer sock (I admit, I bought it from a pool supply store on Amazon) and its nothing more than a thick nylon stretchable sock that fits over the skimmer basket. I don't suppose it matters much except for how much CYA you need to add relative to what the "sock" can easily hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used pantyhose that cost .33 from walmart and hung them in my skimmer. Hung 4 lbs in there between 2 stockings. Worked great.

I thought we had some left over (we used these for skimmer socks) but couldn't find any. just grabbed a pair of full panty hose from the wife and will be cutting one leg (at a time) off to use. thinking about suspending it from PVC pipe in an upside down "L" shape strapped to the return line outside the pool and placing the sock right in the line of the return jet...

I thought we had some left over (we used these for skimmer socks) but couldn't find any. just grabbed a pair of full panty hose from the wife and will be cutting one leg (at a time) off to use. thinking about suspending it from PVC pipe in an upside down "L" shape strapped to the return line outside the pool and placing the sock right in the line of the return jet...
I use a stocking as well, but my return jet just pushes it out of the way. I hang it from my ladder, and squeeze it often. The circulation in my pool makes quick work of dissolving it!

Dom

I have put the full skimmer sock in my skimmer basket before because there's no easy way to secure it to my deck. The only caveat is you have to remove it when the pump is not running because CYA is acidic. As soon as the pump run ended, I transferred it to one of those blue puck floaters. I have good skimmer flow so the sock was almost 80% dissolved by the time I transferred it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tjandjess

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a stocking as well, but my return jet just pushes it out of the way. I hang it from my ladder, and squeeze it often. The circulation in my pool makes quick work of dissolving it!

Dom

I just did it this weekend with panty hose. what I did was after putting the CYA into the panty hose, I tied a not at the top of the CYA to prevent it from coming up. I had some extra PVC for the by-pass when we clean the filter, and a few 90 degree fittings. took the long (5 foot there about) piece of PVC added a 90 degree fitting on it, added a 2 foot section of PVC onto the other end of the 90 degree fitting, and finished it off with a 90 degree fitting on the end of the 2 foot section that was turned up. tied the rest of the panty hose around the 2 foot section of PVC and placed it in front of the return jet. after about 3 hours on high it was empty. I will have to take a picture next time I do this.

I just did it this weekend with panty hose. what I did was after putting the CYA into the panty hose, I tied a not at the top of the CYA to prevent it from coming up. I had some extra PVC for the by-pass when we clean the filter, and a few 90 degree fittings. took the long (5 foot there about) piece of PVC added a 90 degree fitting on it, added a 2 foot section of PVC onto the other end of the 90 degree fitting, and finished it off with a 90 degree fitting on the end of the 2 foot section that was turned up. tied the rest of the panty hose around the 2 foot section of PVC and placed it in front of the return jet. after about 3 hours on high it was empty. I will have to take a picture next time I do this.
Yes, please take some pics. Sounds like a great approach.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.