Stenner install: To tape or not to tape...to trim or not to trim

May 15, 2015
Chandler
I am installing the stenner pump into a Tee fitting. The instructions say to wrap the male end of the injector with 2-3 wraps of plumbing tape. Then there's a pic that says do not use plumbing tape. Do you guys know if it matters? I'm talking about the injector fitting that goes into the return.

Also, it says to trim the end that will go into the pool plumbing as necessary, called the injection fitting quill. What would constitute necessary? I screwed the injection end into a 1/2" thread on the Tee fitting. So...

Those of you that have done this could you let me know if this is important or what you did? Thanks so much.

Matt

I am installing the stenner pump into a Tee fitting. The instructions say to wrap the male end of the injector with 2-3 wraps of plumbing tape. Then there's a pic that says do not use plumbing tape. Do you guys know if it matters? I'm talking about the injector fitting that goes into the return.

Also, it says to trim the end that will go into the pool plumbing as necessary, called the injection fitting quill. What would constitute necessary? I screwed the injection end into a 1/2" thread on the Tee fitting. So...

Those of you that have done this could you let me know if this is important or what you did? Thanks so much.

Matt

I drilled a 7/16" hole into a 2" 90 deg and 2" pipe, tapped it with a 1/2" 18-NPT 1/4" 18-NPT, used teflon tape (~3 wraps) and screwed directly into the hole. Did not trim the end. Since the quill is roughly in the middle of the return flow, didn't feel it necessary to trim it.

Gary

Last edited:
The injection fitting has two threaded fittings on it. One is ¼" 18-NPT and the other is ½" 14-NPT. If you're screwing it into a tee, then the ½" section is probably what you want. I don't think you'll need to trim the quill. That's if you're installing it into a small pipe and it's too long to fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.