Pristine Blue Hair Staining

MMM

Jun 16, 2015
Tn
I am in the same boat with a small new 7,700 gallon pool. I've only used pristine blue twice, but my sons bleach blonde hair is green and its a constant hair battle. I would like to switch to chlorine. I'm getting my water tested again tomorrow, but last week after my last PB dose, I was at .3ppm copper. Do you have any advise on making the switch?

Hi triple M! Welcome to TFP,

I moved your post to a new thread here on its own. You can switch easy. 0.3 is enough to cause staining on plaster, but I don't know what the threshold is for hair staining. Whatever you have, it sounds like enough, and I suggest a drain/refill. Best to leave a foot minimum of water in a liner pool so I wouldn't take it further than that. Drain half and replace then do it again. Or, do it in thirds if you want to be really safe. We shy from anything with Copper because of staining. We are big on testing our own water and maintaining critical parameters with common products like Bleach, but our cornerstone is understanding more than anything else. Take a look at Pool School, and start with the ABCs. You'll need a good test kit, but the know how is all here, and plenty of people will help you along the way.

I haven't tried the ketchup. I did baking soda and vinegar on the hair. It helped but we are not all blonde again.

I drained 1/3 and with heavy rain the copper level is .2ppm. What are thoughts on Proteam Metal Magic? Thanks! Marcy

When my daughter was little she had white blond hair too and it would turn green from the pool. We used a shampoo and creme rinse called Ultra Swim. You can get it at Walmart. It's about $4. I just bought it recently when I got this pool at Ulta also.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

As others have suggested, you need your own test kit and do not trust the pool stores. They are probably the same folks who said the Pristine Blue was a great system. Order a TF100. That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Thank you guys, I just purchased TF100. Yes, i should not have fell for their recommendations. Do you know of a home test kit which checks for metals? I am thinking the pristine blue test kit does because how else would they tell you a top off level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.