A Little Confused About My Setup

Jun 16, 2015
Conneaut, Ohio
I'm going to try to keep this as clean and un-confusing as possible, but I have quite a few questions and concerns...

I have a 15' above ground pool (unsure of the make at the moment) with an AquaTools DE Filter & Pump. The pool is setup the exact way we came into it when we bought the house in 2008 with the exception of us replacing the liner on our own in 2010.

Issue/Concern #1: Cleaning the DE filter is a pain, but usually all I do when the pressure rises above 10psi (starts at around 8psi every time I clean it) is shut the pump down, unhook the hoses and relocate them above water level (note no valves on the equipment) and remove the filter and simply hose it 'clean.' Everywhere I've read, people recommend the backwashing which I've heard of a few times, but it appears as though my pump does not have this feature. Why? Is there something I'm missing?

Issue/Concern #2: Pool pump/filter doesn't seem to be as effective as it should be as far as creating a counter-clockwise current in the pool. The return (regardless of how you position it) tends to send the water straight out toward the opposite side of the pool and creates both a counterclockwise and clockwise current which doesn't aid the filtering very much. Any debris in the pool gathers directly in front of the return and the skimmer at the bottom of the pool. Granted, anything that stays afloat usually gets captured by the skimmer.

Concern #3: I really need to put valves on my equipment to make opening, closing and maintenance easier - How/where would you suggest I place valves and what kinds should I use?

If this was your setup, is there anything in the pictures that you would change, add, etc?

Thank you very much in advance and I can't wait to get some answers and some help with this!

20150611_132328.jpg

20150611_132334.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Don't know a lot about DE filters but here is a great article from Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters that should help.

If your skimmer is working and keeping debris off the surface be happy.

Most folks put valves at the end of the hose pool side between hose and fitting on pool. There are some threads recommending valves, but I can't remember what. Hopefully so folks will be along to help more. M

Welcome to TFP!

Don't know a lot about DE filters but here is a great article from Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters that should help.

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately, that article confused me more because I clean my filter as the "Cartridge Cleaning" portion explains, but the pool filter housing itself is labeled as a D.E. filter setup, but no handles or anything that allows the backwashing for the cleaning. I found a box of "D.E. Filter Aid" (Actual diatomaceous earth, from what I understand) that the previous homeowners had left and used that once a couple seasons ago, but discontinued use as it was more of a pain than anything. All it seemed to do was clog the filter faster even after measuring the correct amount and would require disassembling and more thorough cleaning more often.

Definitely looking forward to some more comments and suggestions on what I have going on here. :) The pool has been somewhat easy to maintain with the exception of the dismantling the filter assembly 3-4 times per swim season to clean the filter cartridge.

Not sure either on the DE filter as I have a sand filter which the filter itself has a backwash function not the pump. As with the sand filter, the water is pumped up through the sand in reverse in a sense and out of the waste line. I'm not sure if DE's work like that.

Issue 2: your skimmer appears to be on the right and return on the left. You're "eyeball" on the return should therefore be positioned to the left and down to get the circulation you're looking for, but it would be a clockwise motion instead of counterclockwise.

Issue 3: I would put at least one under your skimmer and one in front of your return. It's not necessary but it would help you if you have to unhook the filter constantly and also if anything goes wrong(like a hose bursting) it basically just seals all the water in. As far as the type of valve I got the idea of a simply $7 ball valve from the hardware store from another thread on here. It works great has a good seal and is easy to install. Mine are hard plumbed in, but they have fittings that are threaded that can be used with your hoses.

Another concern I may have seen is your pump power cord. Where does it go? A nearby GFCI receptacle? If it's on an extension cord I strongly recommend FIRST before any of the other stuff. Getting an electrician to put in a receptacle near the pump. It's a huge safety concern using an extension cord. If you're good to go on that, great!!
I hope I helped a little.
Other than that enjoy your pool and welcome to TFP!

Issue 2: your skimmer appears to be on the right and return on the left. You're "eyeball" on the return should therefore be positioned to the left and down to get the circulation you're looking for, but it would be a clockwise motion instead of counterclockwise.
Yeah, that's actually how I have it aimed but even in doing so, it doesn't give me that rotational pattern. I've looked into new return "eyeball" units that are supposed to have more angle to them - Do you think I should invest in something like this then?

Issue 3: I would put at least one under your skimmer and one in front of your return. It's not necessary but it would help you if you have to unhook the filter constantly and also if anything goes wrong(like a hose bursting) it basically just seals all the water in. As far as the type of valve I got the idea of a simply $7 ball valve from the hardware store from another thread on here. It works great has a good seal and is easy to install. Mine are hard plumbed in, but they have fittings that are threaded that can be used with your hoses.
Actually, been there and done that and for some stupid reason, I never pursued the valve option even after that happened. I will revisit this definitely when it comes time to lower the water level and close the pool up.

Another concern I may have seen is your pump power cord. Where does it go? A nearby GFCI receptacle? If it's on an extension cord I strongly recommend FIRST before any of the other stuff. Getting an electrician to put in a receptacle near the pump. It's a huge safety concern using an extension cord. If you're good to go on that, great!!
I hope I helped a little.
Other than that enjoy your pool and welcome to TFP!
Yeah, I've never been fond of that, but yes, it's roughly a 6 foot extension cord that goes to a GFCI outlet on the back of our house - I should probably look into that even if it has been setup this way for 8+ years. :) They might even be able to just relocate that outlet on the edge of our back porch and our pump cord might still reach.

Thanks for the input!!

Yeah, that's actually how I have it aimed but even in doing so, it doesn't give me that rotational pattern. I've looked into new return "eyeball" units that are supposed to have more angle to them - Do you think I should invest in something like this then?

I think it wouldn't hurt to toy around with it to get optimal circulation. Maybe the pump is not strong enough to force the circulation? Just thinking out loud. Mine is a 1.5hp pump 21' pool and I get great circulation. With the eyeball down and to the right. (Although I do have main drains helping)

I think it wouldn't hurt to toy around with it to get optimal circulation. Maybe the pump is not strong enough to force the circulation? Just thinking out loud. Mine is a 1.5hp pump 21' pool and I get great circulation. With the eyeball down and to the right. (Although I do have main drains helping)

I've toyed with that eyeball numerous times over the last couple of years and the only pattern I could seem to get was counterclockwise which I thought would be counterproductive since the skimmer was that direction, but maybe I'm wrong - That was the only reason I didn't keep it that way for a period of time longer than maybe a few hours. Should I try adjusting it that way again? Would it matter what side the skimmer is on to what direction the water circulated?

I'll get the specs off the unit tomorrow and report back with that. My brother-in-law (knows a bit more about pools than I do) had looked quite a while back and he seemed to think that it was a rather large pump for the 15' pool, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. :)

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hear ya about the rain. Mine is over the skimmer now [emoji14] but I thought that may have something to do with it but 3/4 is ideal. Idk man I'm stumped.
As far as the placement of the skimmer, i would think that If the return was faced to the right it would be counterproductive because it would be "breaking" the current going into the skimmer. But in the long run as long as there is SOME kind of circulation you're fine. Maybe someone else will chime in on the subject.

I hear ya about the rain. Mine is over the skimmer now [emoji14] but I thought that may have something to do with it but 3/4 is ideal. Idk man I'm stumped.
As far as the placement of the skimmer, i would think that If the return was faced to the right it would be counterproductive because it would be "breaking" the current going into the skimmer. But in the long run as long as there is SOME kind of circulation you're fine. Maybe someone else will chime in on the subject.
Well, I certainly appreciate your help thus far!

you can get these for your returns, I believe your returns inside the pool are 1.5 inch Amazon.com : Pool and Spa Eyeball Jet 1.5 Garden

if you go to hard schedule 40 pipe, here is a union the can go in your return and skimmer Amazon.com : Hayward SP14953S 1-1/2-Inch MIP by 1-1/2-Inch Socket White ABS Flush Male/Female Socket Union : Pipe Fittings : Patio, Lawn Garden

if you stay with flex pipe you can go to lowes and get 2 of these and find fitting to connect inside you hose Shop AMERICAN VALVE 1-1/2-in PVC Sch 40 Socket In-Line Ball Valve at Lowes.com

you can get these for your returns, I believe your returns inside the pool are 1.5 inch Amazon.com : Pool and Spa Eyeball Jet 1.5 Garden

here is a cheaper alternative to the Amazon Hayward union, (and in my opinion far superior quality): Union at Lowes.

if you stay with flex pipe you can go to lowes and get 2 of these and find fitting to connect inside you hose Shop AMERICAN VALVE 1-1/2-in PVC Sch 40 Socket In-Line Ball Valve at Lowes.com
These are the exact ball valves that I have on my plumbing installation and absolutely love them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.