Cannot keep Chlorine in the pool...and cannot get CYA to increase

chumbley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2007
Doylestown, PA
I cannot keep FC in my pool this year. I had a bit of a problem last year, but it is much worse this year. We are adding a gallon of bleach nearly every day to keep up. Let it lapse a few days, and the FC drops to 0 and the pool immediately turns cloudy, can't even see the bottom.

~28K plaster pool. DE filter, solar heat, IC 40 salt cell. Pump runs about 12 hrs / day during the day.

TF100 test kit results:
Water temp 85
Salt level 3200
FC - goes to 0 quickly
pH 7.6
T/A 130
CH 270
CYA 40

I have been trying to get CYA up, but no matter how much stabilizer I add, it never seems to change. Had the pool store test, same results. Bought new CYA reagent, same results. I've probably put in 10 lbs of CYA this year, no change. Filters cleaned, DE replaced, salt cell acid washed, etc.

Pool store, of course, said we have high phosphates. We ignored that.

We only use liquid acid when pH needs help, and bottled bleach. Maybe a bit of polyquat at closing time, along with RV antifreeze in the lines. Nothing else hits the pool. Well, except for Katy the wonder dog. :eek:

Jeff

First, congrats on getting the TF-100.

We are adding a gallon of bleach nearly every day to keep up. Let it lapse a few days, and the FC drops to 0 and the pool immediately turns cloudy, can't even see the bottom.
If you go days between chlorine additions, especially at this time of year, the FC will drop to 0. Chlorine is constantly being consumed as a part of doing its job of sanitizing the pool - this is entirely normal. A pool is under constant assault from microbes and organic contaminates. These are killed off when proper FC is maintained. However, if you let FC drop to 0, then these contaminants can take hold. Usually, the first sign is a cloudy pool or algae. To clear up the pool, you need to perform a SLAM Process. Stock up on lots of plain unscented liquid bleach w/o any added thickeners.

I would suggest reading these articles to give you an overview of our methods of managing a pool:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

You sound like a prime candidate to get one of those aquarium tests that checks for ammonia. There has been an absolute rash of threads on here as of late concerning cya being converted to ammonia and pool holding zero FC.

You have the TF100. Any reason you're not running the CC test? That would tell us a lot.

And if the salt cell and additional bleach can't keep up, I'd say it's time to start shopping for the best price on bleach because a SLAM is called for. Algae or ammonia, either one, the solution is bleach. Lots of it. And 40 CYA is pretty good for that. Might as well order up your FAS-DPD refills now, too. The faster you get this problem licked, the more summer swim time you'll have afterwards.

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.