Replaster - grass clippings a problem?

Beachnut_pa

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2007
Valley Forge, PA
I am about to have my pool replastered with Diamond Brite. I normally have someone cut my grass for me and some clippings inevitably end up in the pool. Since I can't run my Ray Vac for two weeks, would you recommend that I skip getting the grass cut during the two week brushing/curing period?

I would never lightly disagree with Dave, fortunately I don't have to here :cheers:

However, turning your 'backyard oasis' into a backyard jungle doesn't quite sit well with me. Any chance you can explain to them the fact that yard clippings don't belong in the pool? If they pointed the mower's discharge away from the pool and worked from the pool out for the first 5 or 6 passes it would minimize the grass entering the pool. You are paying them good money to care for your lawn, they should respect your wishes! :whip: Perhaps some grass will still enter the pool, but the skimmers should be able to deal with a small amount of debris. And you won't need to use a machette to get to the pool!! (I've almost gotten in fights with the landscapers who blow all the grass into the pool I've just spent ~ an hour cleaning :hammer:

Your lawn helper must not own a pool, or they would know what a PITA grass in
the pool is. What about using a mower with a bagger? At least near the pool. Paying
someone to shoot clipping in the pool would not sit well with me.

I had to look to see where you lived. Thought perhaps you had the same guy, I use. I have gone over and over with him about this. With mine it's not so much from mowing, it's because one of his helpers uses one of those gosh darn blowers and blows the dust, clippings and leaves all over the place. I'm about ready to fire them and look for another crew. Until then, I make sure my pool pump is running on the day I know they are coming so most of it get's to the skimmer sock before sinking.

Thanks for the replies

I appreciate the replies. I understand the mechanics of doing the mowing as I have cut plenty of grass myself. I have a large yard and even the grass that stays off of the pool deck can blow into the pool after the guys leave. My wife and I both work every weekday and don't get home until about 5:00. Believe it or not, the guy that does the mowing has his own pool!

Anyway, I have decided that it's not worth the risk with the new finish. I will skip at least one week. At least we don't have much rain in the forecast for the next week, so it won't grow that much.

Thanks for the advice and enjoy your pools!

Doug

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.