need help asap

Jul 16, 2014
intex 20' x 52" pool with 2,150 per hour sand fulter pump.

ok. so we left our pool open all winter, drained all the water first. no cover. and lets just say well never do that again. and we have about an 80' maple tree right over the pool. so u guessed it mass amounts of leaves. let me just say that it was our first season with a pool. didnt know what we were doing. so we go to open the pool this season, drain out the rest of the water, as much as we can but there was still about two inches left. and tons and tons of masty leaves. we got out probably a quarter to third. and my husband said enough. so we filled the pool. got some shock, and went to shock it. well like I said we didnt know what we were doing and also left the pump out all winter and as soon as we turned the pump on water was spraying out of it through a ton of new cracks.
we had to wait a wekk to get a new pump because we were low ok cash. in the meantime there are like millions of mosquito larvae in the pool
we hooked up our new filter today, which is the filter mentioned above. and put one bag of shock and , then I went and dumped almost a full bottle of bleach too because I realzed i didnt put enough clorine in. so its been about 5 hours. the pump keeps slowing down. to where theres no suction, and no flow at the inlet and outlet. I keep going out there and backwashing, rinsing and then put it back to filter and it runs fine again for like 30- to and hour. I have checked the hoses, the pre filter basket. and then the mosquito larvae I skimmed a bunch of them out onto the cement thinking maybe theyll die frno water and getting dried out. so anyways. I do have a test kit but I am not sure when to test since it hasnt even been 24 hrs yet. and I want amd meed to run the pump overnight but afraid of the pump getting to much pressure built up and exploding or something ( not sure thatll happen) . but ok so ths where we are and I could use some advice

Welcome to TFP!

You really need to get all that leafy/gunky debris out of the pool ASAP. Removing 1/4 to 1/3 of it will not cut it. This is Job One. Job 1A is making sure you have one of the Recommended Test Kits.

After you get all that debris out, you can proceed to Job Two which is called the SLAM Process. This is not a 1-time "shock" treatment, but an ongoing process until the three criteria of done are met as described in the article. You will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test in order to do the SLAM and all of the Recommended Test Kits have this test. You will also need lots of plain unscented liquid bleach. The most important part of the SLAM is the M for continually Maintaining chlorine (FC) according to your CYA levels as shown in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

If you need a respite from removing the gunk & debris, take a break and check out these articles while enjoying a cup of coffee or a refreshing beverage:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

I have a taylor test kit. but we arent going to drain the pool to get the rest of the gunk out. mostly because my husband refuses to drain and refill.
my main concern is the pump not running correctly idk if its because its getting to clogged or something.

The pump is probably slowing down because it's getting clogged with dead algae and debris. You really need to clean out the leaves/debris. Otherwise you'll be cleaning the filter every 5 hours. The filter is doing it's job, cleaning the water. If you don't like cleaning the filter (no one does), then drain it again (all the way) and clean all that gunk out and start fresh.

The filter is doing what it's supposed to do - filter stuff out. Sounds like it's got a huge task, so frequent clogging is expected.

You can help it by using a leaf rake to get anything you can see.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

And then you need to start killing stuff. Stay away from the powdered forms of chlorine until you know what your CH and CYA numbers are. If that made no sense.... ABCs will get you up to speed on our lingo.

I doubt your pool is as bad as some in this thread. Just do what they did. Recovering my old inspirational links

well I guess if u think about it. if i keep having to backwash the pool its the same as draining it . not all the way but still losing alot of water. then ill need to fill it back up, just to be able to run the pump so maybe we will have to drain it.

First thing please update your location and put your pool info in your signature as shown here, Getting Started, We have to know the climate and equipment we are dealing with to best help you.

Second, read BoDar's post again and order a great test kit. I love my TF100 from tftestkits.net. I buy a new one every year whether I need it or not. Best investment you could ever make in your pool. Since your pool is a hot mess you are going to need the XL option.

Third, get a leaf rake and scoop everything out of the pool. It will take gallons and gallons of chlorine and weeks to break down a ton of leaves and debris. You can scoop it out with a leaf rake in a day or two.

The minute your test kit arrives from tftestkits.net give us some test results and get ready to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.

After your finish the SLAm follow the TFPC style pool care and never have algae again.

richard. our pool is not greem its black. I cant even see down one foot into the pool. I do have a leaf rake and I was going until I couldnt go anymore
my husband is upset because he frankly didnt want a pool and I need his help doing the work like this. but he didnt want to take part. lol. also I havent put in any chemicals this season yet, just today we did the hth super shock ome pound and like I said almost a full bottle of bleach after reading the pool calc to bring up to 10ppm

- - - Updated - - -

oh I do have a taylor test kit too forgot to mention

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it is probably inbetween, and I just told my husband and he said absolutely no draining whatsoever. so I dont know I guess ill have to shut the pump off overnight and run it all day tomorow and just keep backwashing. and using the leaf rake.

I know. im seriously considering getting a pair of waders and getting in there to do it. otherwise ill probabaly have to drain the pool and just not use it this season.
The waders would be a good idea! What's the reason behind not wanting to drain it? Is it because of the cost of re-filling it? Not sure how your area works, but if you're filling the pool with a city water supply, if you call your local city hall, they'll discount your water/sewer bill if you tell them you're filling a swimming pool. It'd be worth looking into if that's the reason.

It can be done with out draining. You just have a lot of blind scooping followed by a lot of blind vacuuming ahead of you. If you're willing to scoop and scoop and scoop until you don't find anything else then you can keep going as you are.

The main thing is you have to get it out of there. Big globs of decomposing stuff would take a ridiculous amount of time and chlorine to break down.

Does your filter have a "recirculate" position? If so, you can set it to recirculate when you can't be there to backwash it.

You mentioned that you have a Taylor test kit. Which one do you have? There is only 1 that has the chlorine test you will need to test chlorine during a SLAM. There is another that comes with almost everything you need and is only missing the recommended chlorine test. There are a bunch that don't even come close.

It is very important that you have the right type of test kit. If/when you do we can walk you through the SLAM process and help you step by step.

We'll leave the mean hubby out of it. (Don't get me started on the unhelpful husband topic! I'll get myself in trouble! lol)

We'll help you do it without him. Then when the pool is beautiful and sparkling it will be up to you to decide if he's allowed to swim!

And finally.... Welcome to TFP! If you are willing to follow the steps to take control of your pool we can and will help you do this!

yea well we literally just filled the pool all the way. but I do have good news. I did turn the pump off overnight but the pool looks way better this morning. its not black brown anymore its like a teal green. and I can see inside ill post a pic. I wish I would have taken a before pic. but it looked like the photos that pp posted
. I know I still gotta get the crud out but, at least ill be able to see a little bit. beens, I have the taylor k-1004 dpd test kit. I have the free chlorine and total chlorine and it says I can check the bromine to I think. this morning though I tested and the water was at 0. chlorine. so I turned on the pump again and poured in one and a quarter bottle of 8.25% bleach. my ph was 7.2 but I didmt test the alkalinity. so im just gonna keep the pump running and keep the chlorine at shock level and then leaf rake it. the mosquito larvae were all dead too thank god!

Alisha! Welcome and be not afraid! The task is daunting but certainly do-able! I am almost through cleaning my swamp, too! This is my third time in the process since last year so I am getting quite familiar with it (sadly). three things I can tell you that will help you out....

1. Do whatever you have to do to get as much of the leaves and gunk out as you can! All that dead stuff in the bottom of your pool is quickly breaking down the chlorine faster then you can put it in there so the more you can scoop out, the more life your going to get out of your bleach!

2. Don't forget to start adding CYA because until you have some, the sun is going to rapidly break down your bleach!

3. Stay vigilant in continuing to add bleach to the pool. Every time you let just a little too much time pass...your levels will slip and fall and you will be back at square one. this costs you more time, and more money! So just keep pouring it in there!

With that being said...listen to all the great people here...and you will be FINE and swimming in beautifully clear and clean water soon!

Good luck!

Steve

Screenshot_2015-06-17-20-06-34.jpg

is it ok to run the pump while raining? I did add some cya in a sock hung from empty bleach bottle. and had to add bleach twice today. the pool definatly looks night and day from yesterday and I dont want to have to stop because of the rain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.