Should I hire someone else?

Aug 21, 2008
Ok, so it's been 5 months since I signed a contract with a pool builder. We have a concrete hole in the ground, and that's about it. I keep getting more stories and more delays. They said it would take 4-6 weeks to build the pool. It's been 5 whole months! What gives? Should I fire them and hire someone else or what? This is crazy!
Opinions please!!!

Welcome to TFP!!

I can understand your frustration and desire to have the pool finished! :rant:

The best I can tell you is to see what your contract has to say. There may also be legitimate reasons for the delay (weather comes to mind) :( Are you likely to use the pool in the next few months? - if not, the delay isn't really harming you - as long as you have a swimmable pool when the time comes to get in it, some delay in the winter can be dealt with.

What reasons are being given for the delay? I've built 100s of pools and have helped a few folks here deal with builders who are 'blowing smoke'. I'll gladly tell you if the reasons they give are copescetic or BS :-D

I hope your pool gets finished quickly and that you'll come to us for any questions you have with maintaining it!

Again, welcome here! You've found the best site for your pool questions!! :goodjob:

A lot of small independent pool builders are going under right now. They are selling pools like crazy but unless you have cash money, you cant get them financed. With the equity dropping with the home prices, banks are very hesitant to approve a pool loan. Your PB may not be able or has not paid his subs and they wont work until they get paid.

I do pool deck work for these guys and I know the guys who pay and the ones who dont or are slow pay. I will be at the jobsite for the guys who pay.

launboy said:
In your sig. you mention waiting for permits. If that's the case, it may not be the PB's fault so much as the cities.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum,
Adam

agreed, the bureaucracy of getting permits can be a royal pain in the butt...once they get to a certain point there may need to be an inspection...This may fall on you to get done...I know I paid heck getting my permit last year, and my father was a city councilman in our town...Then when the pool was done...it was my responsiblity to get inspections done...do you have plumbing and electricity that need to be run at this point...you may need separate permits for that stuff as well. check with the builder and see if all permits are in order...if not...start screaming at city hall. That is where the hold up is.

I'd be suspicious, too. Permits do cause delays, but not typically months at a time. If he's waiting on materials to complete the job, I'd wonder if he was able to pay his supplier for those things....

If you do wish to hire someone else, get the present builder to sign off on it, and make sure he has paid for the supplies he's already put on your jobsite. If not, YOU could have to pay for them again! I'd also be prepared by calling a local attorney and having him review the contract.

Just being careful, here. :goodjob:

Sorry, my sig line is old....early on, they told me they were waiting for permits, when in reality, we found out later that they were waiting for the electrician to get registered with our town and this took 6 weeks. I asked them about getting someone else and he told me how great the electrician was. Now, the electrician has failed inpspections 3 times, yeah, he's so great.
They put in the paver stone decking on Xmas eve but again, delay, nothing's been done since.

I wouldn't be in such a rush, but the yard is such a mess, my kids can't even go out to play on the swing set or trampoline cuz there are trenches, wood stakes with nails poking out, and obviously the wrought iron fence isn't done yet. It's like a war zone. Not to mention the dead grass that I haven't been able to water for 5 months cuz the sprinklers were off so long and there are piles of dirt on the grass.

Someday, it will be lovely, I hope and I'll post some pics, if I can figure out how. Plus, I'm sure I'll needs loads of advise....thanks!!!

Ok, that explains some of the delay. Question: Do you have any leverage with your builder? That is, do you hold a significant amount of money yet to be paid on this job? Since you can't "force performance", can you withhold $$ to speed up the work?

There are lots of details still unclear, for example, if your pool failed electrical inspection, it could be anything from bonding of the rebar, or the lights, or the rails, or the pump, to stuff as simple as wiring size to the junction or breaker boxes...who knows? I'm amazed that you have virtually no details from your builder.

It's OK, and sometimes best to be confrontational. Being a nice guy has not gotten you many good answers yet. Again, have your attorney review the contract (you DO have a contract don't you?), and then ask him (attorney) to contact the builder and get an estimated finish and start-up date.

Before withholding payment, it is best to talk to a lawyer. Slow builds are often suggestive of the builder having financial problems, and withholding payment can sometimes help in that situation. However, withholding payment often has unexpected legal consequences. It is best to bring in a lawyer to review what your alternatives are under the contract so you don't get yourself into trouble.

The details vary depending on what state you are in and what the contract says. Where I am, the builder can be very very late, but as long as they show up and do a little work once every couple of months and the contract doesn't have specific penalties for being late, there is very little you can do. In other areas, or with various possible contract clauses, the rules are different, so it is best to check with a lawyer.

metalmom said:
Sorry, my sig line is old....early on, they told me they were waiting for permits, when in reality, we found out later that they were waiting for the electrician to get registered with our town and this took 6 weeks. I asked them about getting someone else and he told me how great the electrician was. Now, the electrician has failed inpspections 3 times, yeah, he's so great.
They put in the paver stone decking on Xmas eve but again, delay, nothing's been done since.

I wouldn't be in such a rush, but the yard is such a mess, my kids can't even go out to play on the swing set or trampoline cuz there are trenches, wood stakes with nails poking out, and obviously the wrought iron fence isn't done yet. It's like a war zone. Not to mention the dead grass that I haven't been able to water for 5 months cuz the sprinklers were off so long and there are piles of dirt on the grass.

Someday, it will be lovely, I hope and I'll post some pics, if I can figure out how. Plus, I'm sure I'll needs loads of advise....thanks!!!

I had the same problem...my pool guy and pool store use electrician X...they let their license with my city expire...had to pull some strings...My father used to be a city councilman...so the city planner knew me...I got the electrician on an temporary city license to do my job only...But what a bunch of yahoos the bureaucrats can be...All part of the experience...Advice to anyone else...get permits right away...as soon as you have your install date...Don't take any chances...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.