Heater Won't Shut Off

DVOM = digital volt ohm meter.

I was inside one of these last year and it seems there is a small board, if my memory is right, that has all of the connections for the thermostats, on/off switch and the millivolt connections for the gas valve. Maybe something amiss on that. Definitely sounds like there is a short in the wiring somewhere before the thermostats if switching off won't fix it.

I missed the part about the on/off switch not shutting it down. Sounds like the control board is bad. Like danpik said, it's behind the knobs. I think you can still get this part.

First, see if the thermostat select switch is even hooked up. If it is, disconnect it and see if the heater then shuts off. If it does, you either have a bad switch, or bad thermostat(s) or maybe the water is so cold that the temp setting wont go below the current water temp. What is the temp of the water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water temp is 88...I have no problem turning it on...
Thanks for the suggestions...I will get in there tomorrow and take a look at this board and the wiring. Thanks also for the part on Amazon...really appreciate the help fellows...

Wait, Ok the only way to tun it off is the gas valve? Which valve? The one outside of the heater? or the valve inside with the wires and pilot tube coming out of it. Either way, i think the gas valve may be sticking. This time, try unplugging the wires from the gas valve to get it to shut down. If it remains on, its the gas valve.

Wait, Ok the only way to tun it off is the gas valve? Which valve? The one outside of the heater? or the valve inside with the wires and pilot tube coming out of it. Either way, i think the gas valve may be sticking. This time, try unplugging the wires from the gas valve to get it to shut down. If it remains on, its the gas valve.

Good thought...A volt meter would also be able to confirm if the power is being cut to the valve when the heat is satisfied.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.