Now we have algae in the stupid pool!

okay. Hold up. I found the video for the CYA test. However, that video doesn't match the instructions on the sheet I have in my box.
Second, algae was gone after we shocked it. So algae is not an issue now - I guess.
My pH is def not the 7.2 - a little too pink.

So if the algae is gone, I don't need to do another slam, do i? I'm confused.
I'm just tired of spending so much money on chems.

- - - Updated - - -

okay, thanks Speedo, I watched that video and I did it right. I think the 45 is more accurate.

can I do this very same thing on the spa too? or should i?

- - - Updated - - -

okay. SO based on the test results I gave you, my pH needs to be lower before I go to the SLAM thing? Am I correct on that?

- - - Updated - - -

otter, I have the FT100 kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. So i went to the chart. The numbers I have don't come anywhere close to what your chart says. I am trying Really Hard to understand this. my CC is 3. but none of the other numbers jive. sigh...and my pool is clear. there were two patches of algae. They are no longer visible. I am just unclear on how to move forward.

"SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process."
Then I do not understand the chart then. I must be missing something.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you , Kim. Now I feel like I am getting somewhere. I will do this tonight!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi DMS2014

I tried to catch up on all this since my last post. YOU CAN DO THIS. While Ill try to help explain. You likely still have algea in your pool.....the 1.5 CC (combined chlorimides) indicate something organic is breaking down your chlorine. To SLAM the pool to rid it of algae, you need to keep chlorine at shock level for your CYA level until you pass the three tests to ensure algae is gone.

The OCLT inked by someone else would ensure you know if something organic is consuming the chlorine. Organics and sunlight consume your chlorine. The overnight test removes sunlight from the equation. So if you lose more than 1ppm chlorine overnight with no sun, then you know you are fighting algea.....whether you can directly see it or not. I know this because I've been there.

If you do need to SLAM, then realistically you may be better off not raising your CYA first since it would require more chlorine at least initially. You also will want to bring your PH in range before proceeding to SLAM chlorine lever because the PH test loses accuracy above 10ppm chlorine.

It looks like you got through the testing with pretty accurate results. You can do this. My hubby doesn't do either the chemistry or the cleaning of our pool. He empties the skimmers. Especially when there are frogs or rodents or snakes in them. That's his only job.

I saw that kimkats. Sometimes I just try to break it down when it looks like someone has their head spinning from pool school.

Only more experience gives you that gut feeling of whether to SLAM or not. I think it can be a good practice (for learning the testing) to do the OCLT to confirm, and learn.

Can I just say that this thread cracked me up! I love you already DMS. You said things I thought when starting my first SLAM in April. Let me assure you that you can do this.

As Kim pointed out; the testing is easier Than the brushing and cleaning.

As a fairly newbie, I would be concerned with your CC. Your visible algae can be gone, but a bloom still in your water. My visible algae was absent before my pool passed all of the tests.

Soooo as Kim suggested, run the OCLT and go from there. I assure you of you follow the advise on this forum and get a fully clear pool, it will be soooo much easier to maintain. I LOVE looking at my clear pool!

Hugs and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1^^^^

I'm enjoying her posts. Funny. Especially since my hubby doesn't know how to take care of EITHER the chemistry or the cleaning (except critters in the pool that need removal).

You can do this DMS2014

OMG ya'll - I SO totally was all over my husband tonight about this debacle LOL. Do you KNOW what he Came.Home.With? After ALL this and me sending him the links for the test??????? A STRIP FC KIT FROM LESLIE'S?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! I about clocked him and dragged him out to the pool to drown!

I just don't quite get it. We are going to do the overnight test tonight. However now we have issues with the hot tub. The chlorine is high. We have had a huge problem with scum. he took the filters out and soaked them in D.E. Filter Clean and then dried them according to package directions -- he read them this time! But today there tub was foamy -- we hadn't been in it in a week -- and the chlorine was high...sigh....
What test can i do that would be of any help for the tub that I have in my test kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.