Cloudy pool

Jun 16, 2015
Fostoria, Ohio
This is our second year having a pool, we moved into a house that had an existing pool. We had the liner replaced his year and was filled with pottable water hauled in. My pool is cloudy and I don't know what to do... All of my levels are good besides my chlorine...it says "0". I have a chlorine floater in my pool and also added liquid chlorine yesterday... Still 0. Do I add more chlorine? I just feel like I've added a ton!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: YES, we can help. Here's a basic road map for you okay:
- You must get a proper test kit (see TF-100 link below)The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. That's #1!

- Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

- Also, if you haven’t done so already, please verify that all of your pool information is accurate and/or loaded in your “signature” which can be accessed in your TFP profile. That information is valuable to TFP readers as they try to assist you. If you have any more questions, just re-post to this thread or ask. TFP’ers are always eager to assist. Have a great swimming season!

So for now, we need good test results from a TF-100 (or Taylor K2006) test kit. You won't regret it! That's where it all starts. Since your pool is already cloudy, you should really focus on the "SLAM" and "Chlorine/CYA Chart" links below.

Don't put anything else in your pool for now except regular liquid bleach. About 1/2 gal per day just to keep things at bay until your kit arrives.

When you get your test kit, we can go from there. I hope this helps. Ask questions as much as you like. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.