Help me please!!

Jun 16, 2015
Lexington TN
I had the spots of algae at first. I did 3 bags of shock and cleared it up to wake up to a cloudy pool. I took a sample in and was told the put phosphate remover in.. which I see now you don't recommend. I waited the 24 hours as specified on the bottle. I backwashed and added 3 bags of shock. Now it is white cloudy. Will it eventually clear up? This is frustrating me. This is our 3rd year and we have never had this problem. I know I probably done the totally wrong thing but if I can just get it right again I will do better to stay on top of it because I see now I have not been doing a very good job keeping my chlorine at the right level.

We have a 16x32 oval shaped with 3ft that goes to 8ft. Salt water system.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

No it will not likely just clear up. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to correctly clear up an algae bloom. And to do that you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop trusting the pool store to test your water and sell you stuff.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

This is our 3rd year and we have never had this problem
We see this over and over again. This is likely due to your use of trichlor tablets and/or dichlor "shock" which has now gotten your CYA very high and you did not proportionally raise the FC level as well. The pool store will not acknowledge the FC/CYA relationship as shown in the FC/CYA Chart

We can not really advise on doing anything until you have a test kit and post the numbers.

welcome to TFT! as Jason pointed out, get one of the test kits asap and post numbers. based on what you said you put in the pool, and history with the pool, you will probably have very high CYA numbers...hopefully not, but wont know till you get the test. unfortunately, CYA is one of those things (like salt) that only gets removed by doing drain/refills....but nothing we can do until you get the test kit and post the full results. will have a clear roadmap of what is needed after that.

if you have any chemical from the pool store left, do yourself a favor and return them for a refund :)

fingers crossed that drain/refill wont be needed!

Ok Ive ordered a test kit. In the meantime, do we stay out if it or is it safe for us to get in? Im not sure I even want to. The 4th is coming up and I really hope I have this fixed by then.... is that even likely? Another question... we are going on vacation. How do I make sure everything will be ok while we are gone. I have no one to come and check it for me.

IF you can not see the bottom, then it is certainly not safe: This is why we say

But need to know the FC and CYA levels to know if chemically it is safe.

For vacation, you have to raise the FC level and cover and hope ... and maybe float some trichlor tablets if your CYA is not too high.

Agree, we just had this conversation the other day about murky water. So, Im not really sure why I asked that. I wouldn't get in or allow anyone else to, not being able to see through it. Thank you for your help! I will update you as soon as I can give you some numbers!

Ok I got my kit today. Im not sure if I did it right or not esp the CC, FC, and calium hardness. Now it's pouring down rain AGAIN. But I can actually see the drains in the bottom of the deep end and the shallow end is now more clear than it was but not sparkling.

pH 7.6
CYA 70
TA 120
CH 120
FC 13
CC 3
I have 16 x 32 oval shaped 3 ft that goes to 8ft. It's vinyl. Salt water system.

Ok I got my kit today. Im not sure if I did it right or not esp the CC, FC, and calium hardness. Now it's pouring down rain AGAIN.

pH 7.6
CYA 70
TA 120
CH 120
FC 13
CC 3
I have 16 x 32 oval shaped 3 ft that goes to 8ft. It's vinyl. Salt water system.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I got my kit today. Im not sure if I did it right or not esp the CC, FC, and calium hardness. Now it's pouring down rain AGAIN. But I can actually see the drains in the bottom of the deep end and the shallow end is now more clear than it was but not sparkling.

pH 7.6
CYA 70
TA 120
CH 120
FC 13
CC 3

Get yourself 4.5 jugs of 8.25 percent bleach in right away and get over 28 ppm FC. Then add to keep it over 28 until it clears.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thats good news Wendi,
Keep your FC at SLAM level until the 3 things are accomplished.
1. Your CC are 0
2. You pass the overnight chlorine loss test
3, your water is crystal clear and all the dead algae is out of the pool.

If you dont succeed at these 3 things, the algae and cloudiness will be back in not time, and youl'll have to start all over.

Keep it up! SOunds like you're doing great!

Im still working but just the fact I can see through it is amazing and a relief!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.