Can't get rid of Mustard Algae

Jun 15, 2015
Cary, NC
I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.However, I've been following the forums andTFP method for a while now.We've had anissue with mustard algae since April.Wewent away for a week during high pollen season and our chlorine tablet feederbroke. Needless to say, the pool was an algae infested mess when we gotback.
I SLAMMed the pool according to the CYA/FC chart using onlyliquid bleach, (no shock or anything with dichlor), I brushed and vacuumed nonstopand we passed the overnight chlorine loss test.Our water was clear, but there was still this cloud of dead algae thatformed up every time I brushed the pool.So, I SLAMMed again, passed the test again, but the cloud is stillthere. I can brush the pool, and then about two hours later the cloud comes back when I brush again. Any thoughts on what I can try next to get ridof this stuff?
I have the TF 100 test kit. I attached a picture of what our water looks like now.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 55
Maybe it's pollen settling on the floor not algae. I thought I had mustard algae too but it ended up being pollen that my sand filter could not get the small particles out. I started using a skimmer sock to catch it. Works great. :D

Welcome to TFP! TF-100! :goodjob: As a new member, it sounds as if you tried to meet the intentions of a TFP "SLAM". You mentioned passing the overnight test and water is clear, but what about the CC (Combined Chlorine) level? I don't see that listed. I ask only to be certain you truly passed the SLAM since that's one of the requirements. If so, then we can explore any other scenarios (i.e. filter requiring backwashing/cleaning, other inorganic post-SLAM material).

Before we go any further though, it would ideal if you could post some full test results (FC, CC, CYA, TA, PH, and CH). That will help all the readers when analyzing your situation. That's the real starting point for us.

Glad to have you with us! :wave:

I thought it might be pollen, but this is our fourth year with the pool and we never had this issue before. Plus, pollen season is long over. What is a skimmer sock? Maybe I'll give it a try just to rule out pollen.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are my test results from this morning, this is 2 days after our second SLAM.

FC-17.5
CC- 0
CYA- 50
TA- 110
PH-7.8

Good readings. Naturally FC is a still a bit high from the SLAM - that's okay. Thanks. A pool sock is a nylon or paint strainer we place over the basket in your pool skimmer. We find a lot of small debris gets through those large slits in the basket and make their way to the filter. The skimmer sock can simply be cleaned-out each day when you go to check your skimmer. It does well to catch a lot of the "finer" things, and takes some of the workload off of your filter. A cheap and easy thing to try. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Gorgeous pool by the way!

if your only two days removed from your SLAM then its probably dead algae that you need to get cleaned out. if you have a sand filter, add DE and vacuum to remove. if its still green, then probably pollen. either way, same solution. you need to filter it out. not familiar with your filter if its sand or not..,if it is, DE will help a lot. I have a cartridge filter, and it probably took a couple days to get any of the old dead "dust" out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.