Oversized pump - is this a major problem?

Jun 16, 2015
johnston ri
Hello,

When I purchased my home many years ago it came with a 24 foot, 4 foot deep above ground pool. It had a jacuzzi filter/pump combo. When the pump died, I was sold a 1.5 HP Hayward pump rated at 70 GPM, and I kept the filter. Many years went by without issue, then the screws on the jacuzzi filter snapped, so I just purchased a Hayward replacement, keeping the 1.5 hp pump.

Now that I am looking into it more, I see the filter says 35 GPM is recommended, so my 70 GPM pump is too much. (and apparently has been too much for years, but again, no issues)

I have searched a lot, but cannot find a definitive answer - is this a MAJOR problem? I see that it may not be efficient in cleaning, and I may be paying too much to run it, but is my new filter in danger? Should I run to downgrade the pump?

Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Pumps do not typically move near the amount of water that the spec states for optimal no head loss conditions.

Can you add what make/model of pump you have? Hayward probably makes 15+ different 1.5HP pumps.

In any case, a 21" sand filter should not have a problem with a 1.5HP pump ... 35GPM seems a little low for a filter that size. That could be a commercial pool use rate where residential can run a good bit higher.

A 21" filter would be more in line with the size I would recommend, although with your shorter season, the 18" should be adequate.

Put that pump info in your Sig ... well just the Power Flo LX part is enough.

Your setup should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.