Aug 19, 2014
Shickshinny/PA
I'm getting ready to add borax to our 27 foot above ground pool. We are in the process of switching from bromine to chlorine in the form of bleach. I know I have to add stabilizer, but am unsure of how much. We've never added any. Also, I know I need to add muriatic acid, but I don't have any. I have ph down. Is that acceptable?

Are you doing a complete water exchange in the pool?

If not, you will not convert from bromine to chlorine. As soon as you add the chlorine it will reactivate the bromine and deactivate the chlorine, thus making it a bromine pool again.

I have read here in the past that simply adding chlorine to a bromine pool only recharges the bromine, it doesnt turn it into a chlorine pool. I think that's why tim5055 asked above, as the water may have to be drained and refilled?

@titusclan, you will need stabilizer, whether you need acid depends on your pH or total alkalinity, you may or may not need any. if so, muriatic acid is preferable to dry acid, as dry acid adds sulfates to the water

Since we still have 1/2 a bucket of bromine left, my husband doesn't want it to go to waste. Our automatic chlorinator hasn't been registering any bromine when we have the water tested. We have put bromine tablets into the skimmer basket today just to see if it helps at all. My results are as follows (today testing before adding tablets):

bromine: 0
pH: 7.9
Hardness:310
Alkalinity: 113
copper, iron and phosphate: 0

I added bleach last evening to shock it and the entire pool went green. The pool store told me to shock again using a non-chlorine shock. It's in, but I'm skeptical as to what is going to happen. My husband is angry and wants to get rid of the pool. HELP!!

Oh no. Some of the experts will be by to help! I don't know anything about bromine pool.
This will bump the post up so someone may see it.

Hope you get it cleared up soon.

As others have noted, you will not be able to convert your bromine pool into a chlorine pool without replacing the water (assuming it's been a bromine pool for a while so has built up substantial amounts of bromide salt).

Do you have a blue pool surface? If so, then the color may be yellow which on a blue background will look green. If you add a lot of chlorine that turns bromide into bromine, then it can look yellow until it dissipates. If it's still yellow after a while, then you may have added quite a bit of chlorine so that your bromine level is now quite high.

The non-chlorine shock is pointless and expensive. It will just create even more bromine (though does so more slowly than chlorine).

So a clear green when you add chlorine can be one of two things. It can be iron or it can be bromine. Since you have a bromine pool, I'm guessing it's bromine, especially if the color dissipates once the water is mixed. If the color were to remain and only drop if the pH drops, then I'd say it's iron.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.