How to stabilize bromine

spishex

TFP Expert
Oct 12, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
This is an old story, but I just came across the picture:

The water needs to be shaded because when sunlight mixes with the bromide and chlorine in Ivanhoe’s water, the carcinogen bromate forms, said Pankaj Parekh, DWP’s director for water quality compliance. Bromide is naturally present in groundwater and chlorine is used to kill bacteria, he said, but sunlight is the final ingredient in the potentially harmful mix.

12_waterwat.jpg

Thanks for the post Tim :goodjob:

I wasn't aware of the carcinogenic nature of bromide (which occurs naturally in the water), but then I remembered that we're talking about Cali. where skin is probably 'a known carcinogen!!' :lol:

It reminds me of a story Ben told on PF about Peru (?) stopping the use of chlorine in the water supply because of the few untimely deaths caused by chlorine in the drinking water-- from memory ~ 10 fold more people then died from malaria.

While I appreciate the public authorities attempting to keep us safe, what will they do next, sheath the entire state in lead to block the background radiation??? :p (but... oh yeah, lead has it's own set of problems in the human system) (I could easily start to rant :rant: on unknowing and uninformed public officials passing laws for "the common good" which are unfounded in either fact or reality :pukel: )

Whatever, if they want black balls floating in the drinking water, they can have at it (though I'll say that I doubt that idea would 'float' very well in the south :lol: )

Thanks for finding something to let us talk about in our cold/ closed months :)

So why do they cost $0.40 each?

Probably because they were purchased by a governmental entity. Working for a county hospital where a ream of 20 lb. copy paper costs us $12.75, I have no doubts about that being the reason.

That's really incredible though. I guess that is easier than making a reservoir-sized pool cover. :shock:

My understanding is that ping pong balls are often used as a thermal cover for hot tubs in Scandinavian countries.
They don't have to be removed to use the tub.
I always thought that would be a neat way to keep the heat in a pool but you would need to make sure they didn't go into the skimmer or over the overflow of a spillover spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.