Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to stabilize bromine

1. Back To Top    #1

How to stabilize bromine

This is an old story, but I just came across the picture:

The water needs to be shaded because when sunlight mixes with the bromide and chlorine in Ivanhoe’s water, the carcinogen bromate forms, said Pankaj Parekh, DWP’s director for water quality compliance. Bromide is naturally present in groundwater and chlorine is used to kill bacteria, he said, but sunlight is the final ingredient in the potentially harmful mix.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to stabilize bromine

Thanks for the post Tim

I wasn't aware of the carcinogenic nature of bromide (which occurs naturally in the water), but then I remembered that we're talking about Cali. where skin is probably 'a known carcinogen!!'

It reminds me of a story Ben told on PF about Peru (?) stopping the use of chlorine in the water supply because of the few untimely deaths caused by chlorine in the drinking water-- from memory ~ 10 fold more people then died from malaria.

While I appreciate the public authorities attempting to keep us safe, what will they do next, sheath the entire state in lead to block the background radiation??? :P (but... oh yeah, lead has it's own set of problems in the human system) (I could easily start to rant on unknowing and uninformed public officials passing laws for "the common good" which are unfounded in either fact or reality )

Whatever, if they want black balls floating in the drinking water, they can have at it (though I'll say that I doubt that idea would 'float' very well in the south )

Thanks for finding something to let us talk about in our cold/ closed months
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

According to the article, Parekh says that the balls require "no contruction, no parts, no labor and no maintenance".

So why do they cost $0.40 each?

Just confused ... Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

4. Back To Top    #4

So why do they cost $0.40 each?
    Probably because they were purchased by a governmental entity. Working for a county hospital where a ream of 20 lb. copy paper costs us $12.75, I have no doubts about that being the reason.

That's really incredible though. I guess that is easier than making a reservoir-sized pool cover.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems to me that a bunch of black dead air pockets would be a great thermal insulator. I wonder if the increased temperatures plus the increased surface area would just lead to worse problems?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Seems to me that a bunch of black dead air pockets would be a great thermal insulator
    I thought exactly the same thing as I quickly calculated the cost of a "solar-ball" thermal cover for my pool....$4800.

No wonder California is broke!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

My understanding is that ping pong balls are often used as a thermal cover for hot tubs in Scandinavian countries.
    They don't have to be removed to use the tub.
    I always thought that would be a neat way to keep the heat in a pool but you would need to make sure they didn't go into the skimmer or over the overflow of a spillover spa.