LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Catalunya, Spain
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, It's sort of pool related but I think this belongs in the Coffee Bar.

I'm fairly new to this site so I've been busy reading a lot of threads and had a lot of help getting the pool looking fantastic (and the pump running properly, for those following my thread). Every now and then I would pass on a snippet of information to the wife who, at first, showed a modicum of interest in my new learnings. As time passed and I started quoting how bicarbonate of soda will increase total alkalinity and also PH (a little) but aeration will increase PH without increasing total alkalinity, I could see her eyes start to glaze over and eventually roll back into her head.

I soon discovered that my CYA was very high and had to drain half the pool but decided not to tell the wife but to start the process when she left for work and hope the pool would be filled by the time she got home. Alas this was not the case so on her arrival back home I had to quickly explain that we HAD to drain half the pool and that although we would pay for the water now, we will save on chlorine and other chemical costs in the long run….and before I could convince her she said “not this year, leave it until next”. I thought you might say that (I said) so I went ahead and did it anyway (pulling open the kitchen curtain for her to see the still 40% empty pool). Turns out I needed nearer 24 hours to refill the pool so my plan was scuppered from the start. She was not best pleased (to put it politely) and so began the start of my “new love affair” with the swimming pool.

I’d already spent close to $200 on a LaMotte test kit which I'd been told not to buy and the water drain and refill put me well and truly in the dog house but the damage was done so I had no choice but to get my head down and sort the pool out. After days of water blasting the walls and floor clean and SLAMing the pool….twice (messed it up the first time with a panic dumping of PH- followed by a panic dumping of PH+. I stupidly tested the PH DURING the slam…doh!) and so the on/off love affair continued. “The Combined Chlorine has come down love!” I would call out, only to be met with a humph. “The CYA is also much lower now, that will save us a lot of money on Chlorine!”….”Wha’eva!” came the reply (I swear I could hear her eyes rolling in her head) and then came the day. I had passed the OCLT test…twice, the PSI was stable at 15 for several days, the water was beautifully clear, even the Ebay bought handmade slimebags were not pumping out white powder back into the pool. I had made it…sanctuary!

A few days passed and all was calm between me and my new love. I would check the FC, top up with a bottle of weak bleach, pour in some acid to get the TA down, add a little Sodium bicarbonate because I had overcooked the acid; all was calm and remained so for a few days. It was then that my wife started to feel a bit dizzy. Her blood pressure had gone up and after a day or so I said she should go to the doctor to get herself checked out. She was pleased that I was concerned about her health and that my other love was now taking up less of my time. On the way to the doctor I thought it best to drive calmly, leave the radio off and just let her relax. We drove for a while in silence and my mind started to wander. After a few minutes of silence I asked “Do we have any vitamin C tablets?” She looked at me and said “Are vitamin C tablets good for high blood pressure?”…..I paused and then said “Ummmmm, they're not for you, they're for the swimming pool”.

Thankfully she saw the funny side and we laughed the rest of the way.

So, how obsessed are you? :grin:

Not just mine, but everyone else's too...that's why I'm here. :mrgreen:

Just wait till she finds you hanging out here in winter. You may find out she's made arrangements for you to visit a nice place with "special doctors" that will help you get better. :lol:

That is soo funny! I am a little obsessed - I know more about pool builds than any of my friends who have pools - and I hope that I will know more about pool chemistry soon. I do feel like "you people" are my friends - and I am sure my husband is sick of me mentioning you guys in conversation.

I have gotten in trouble for being on TFP during "movie time" - we will be sitting on the couch watching a movie and he tells me - "I wish you wouldn't play games (on the ipad) while we are watching movies." I sheepishly smile and say I am reading about the pool . . . he just rolls his eyes.

The struggle is real.

Thanks for the laughs, Desiato. I'm frequently in the same situation with my wife. I get the eye roll when I start mentioning the intricacies of pool water chemistry. She's also mildly annoyed when I head out to help the neighbor with their new pool. They're registered on TFP but I haven't gotten them to take on task of educating themselves yet. It's been more like me being their pool personal trainer... For me, I've gotten my pool and spa fairly well dialed in and honestly it's so easy that I look forward to the challenge of helping them manage their pool. Eventually they're going to have to get serious about getting on TFP and make it happen for themselves!

Sparklypoolitis is real.

Like your wife, my better half gets bored to tears when I try to have any sort of pool-talk with her. I quickly realized that all-things-pool-maintentance will not be joint family activities. I follow the advice I've learned on this site so that I do not have to be obsessed with my pool. Having a clean pool with lined-out chemistry allows me to pay attention to family, work, and the other important things in my life. The pool is there to be used when we want to, with minimal time spent on maintenance otherwise.

After a few minutes of silence I asked “Do we have any vitamin C tablets?” She looked at me and said “Are vitamin C tablets good for high blood pressure?”…..I paused and then said “Ummmmm, they're not for you, they're for the swimming pool”.

Thankfully she saw the funny side and we laughed the rest of the way.

So, how obsessed are you? :grin:

Made me LOL, I dont care who you are, that is funny :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in the same boat.. At first my wife was not impressed by the process (since the results were slow going due to two broken laterals in sand filter) but her opinions changed since the clarity is in the pool. She actually performs the tests when she gets home, saved pool math on her phone and we are tag teaming the maintaining of our pool.

Though she's not on the forum and daily checking it....

But throughout my process she would say "what do your pool pals have to say about THIS".

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I met a fella today who didn't know the size of his pump. "Does 5 hp seem right" he asked me. I sighed (in my head)...is it bad to judge? I think a pool owner should know the basics. It begins with at least knowing the equipment...no? Or am i quick to judge?

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG

Judging by the amount of time I spend reading the forum, I'd say I'm pretty obsessed. ;)

I clean the pool more often than the house! :D

Yeah a lil OCD here....run the keeper and manual vac afterwards...then, get in the pool w a hand net to get the stragglers. I even give each family member their own lil hand held net. Just kinda tell them to float, dip, take a drink, repeat...LOL OH, and hubby thinks I'm having an online affair with someone with initials...TFP. just kidding but I do have a tendency to over talk it. I know I'm done when I see the first sign of eye glazing.

........"LOL OH, and hubby thinks I'm having an online affair with someone with initials...TFP."

Is there some kinda chat room secretly embedded here I'm not aware of???? Or at least------NOT!----invited to!

My girlfriends' intials are CYA btw.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.