Muriatic Acid

mikergibson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Where can I pick this stuff up? From reading what others have posted it is a "cleaner" way of lowering Ph. than dry acid
I have a SWG so my Ph is constantly rising.
the two local pool stores do not carry it, only the dry acid powder and I haven't found an online store that will ship it.

Any suggestions or even arguments that dry acid is just as good are welcome!
Mike

Mike,

If you are in close proximity to a Home improvement center (ie Lowes, Home Depot), they carry it in their Pool section, usually in gallon jugs. I have a local Tractor Supply/ Feed Store that sells the stuff as well. Good luck in your search. I hope I have been able to help.

Hardware and home centers in the cleaners section. Also, sometimes Muriatic is used in garden centers - it mixed with soils for high acid needs plants like Hydrangeas, Blueberries, etc.

I do also have some dry acid and it works fine - it stores fine in tightly sealed container. If you can't get muriatic and have the other stuff on hand or nearby, use that.

Just be aware that some stores are selling 14% muriatic acid. I got burned by Home Depot selling 14% at the same price others were selling 29%.

Just a word of caution. I've never worked with dry acid, but be very careful working with the liquid acid. The fumes are really nasty. Always add the acid to water - not vice versa. Also, be sure to immediately rinse it off any painted surfaces. It will remove the paint pretty quickly.

Chris

momof2grlz said:
Just a word of caution. I've never worked with dry acid, but be very careful working with the liquid acid. The fumes are really nasty. Always add the acid to water - not vice versa. Also, be sure to immediately rinse it off any painted surfaces. It will remove the paint pretty quickly.

Chris

Very true. I always make sure the wind is to my back and take a deep breath before adding acid to the pool. If there is no wind or breeze I will add as much as I can while holding my breath and then step away. The fumes can get really thick and sometimes they are not always visible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long do you guys wait after adding muriatic acid before swimming? I've been adding it at night and it's never been an issue, but I'm just curious what is safe.

Also, I had been adding it in front of my skimmer so it would mix in fast by going thru the filter. After reading some things and thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure how stupid that was. How are you guys putting it in your pools? Is the skimmer a bad idea?

You should pour muriatic acid slowly in front of a return. It is better to not subject your equipment to the acid before it fully dilutes. Muriatic acid mixes with the water very quickly, you should only need to wait a minute or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.