Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid

Where can I pick this stuff up? From reading what others have posted it is a "cleaner" way of lowering Ph. than dry acid
    I have a SWG so my Ph is constantly rising.
    the two local pool stores do not carry it, only the dry acid powder and I haven't found an online store that will ship it.

Any suggestions or even arguments that dry acid is just as good are welcome!
    Mike
    My Pool:
    12K gal Fiberglass. Pentair DE Filter, Aqua Logic SWG, GoldLine Controls, Kreepy Krauley pool cleaner, MiniMax 250 Heater, Pentair FiberWorks Fiber optic lighting, Pentair 1 1/2HP Pump, a new shiny TF100 test kit, a clear pool and 3 happy kids

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mike,

If you are in close proximity to a Home improvement center (ie Lowes, Home Depot), they carry it in their Pool section, usually in gallon jugs. I have a local Tractor Supply/ Feed Store that sells the stuff as well. Good luck in your search. I hope I have been able to help.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3
    True value and other hardward stores.

I paid about $5 per gallon at our local true value store.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hardware and home centers in the cleaners section. Also, sometimes Muriatic is used in garden centers - it mixed with soils for high acid needs plants like Hydrangeas, Blueberries, etc.

I do also have some dry acid and it works fine - it stores fine in tightly sealed container. If you can't get muriatic and have the other stuff on hand or nearby, use that.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Just be aware that some stores are selling 14% muriatic acid. I got burned by Home Depot selling 14% at the same price others were selling 29%.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I get 31% MA at a farm supplier called Atwoods for $2.99 per gallon. They also sell pool supplies but the acid is in the plumbing isle for some reason. So, I buy my pool chemicals from the plumbing and laundry section.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

7. Back To Top    #7

Found It!

Lowes had it, I was lucky enough to talk to a young lady who knew what it was. I looked in the pool section but it was
    actually in the paint section next to the paint thinner!
    My Pool:
    12K gal Fiberglass. Pentair DE Filter, Aqua Logic SWG, GoldLine Controls, Kreepy Krauley pool cleaner, MiniMax 250 Heater, Pentair FiberWorks Fiber optic lighting, Pentair 1 1/2HP Pump, a new shiny TF100 test kit, a clear pool and 3 happy kids

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a word of caution. I've never worked with dry acid, but be very careful working with the liquid acid. The fumes are really nasty. Always add the acid to water - not vice versa. Also, be sure to immediately rinse it off any painted surfaces. It will remove the paint pretty quickly.

Chris

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by momof2grlz
    Just a word of caution. I've never worked with dry acid, but be very careful working with the liquid acid. The fumes are really nasty. Always add the acid to water - not vice versa. Also, be sure to immediately rinse it off any painted surfaces. It will remove the paint pretty quickly.

Chris
    Very true. I always make sure the wind is to my back and take a deep breath before adding acid to the pool. If there is no wind or breeze I will add as much as I can while holding my breath and then step away. The fumes can get really thick and sometimes they are not always visible.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Muriatic Acid

"I have a SWG so my Ph is constantly rising"
    I have the same problem, Mike. But, Muriatic is the only chem I add to my pool regularly. Sure beats adding chlorine every few days.
    Debbie

11. Back To Top    #11

How long do you guys wait after adding muriatic acid before swimming? I've been adding it at night and it's never been an issue, but I'm just curious what is safe.

Also, I had been adding it in front of my skimmer so it would mix in fast by going thru the filter. After reading some things and thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure how stupid that was. How are you guys putting it in your pools? Is the skimmer a bad idea?
    Author of The Pool Tool for Windows Phone 7.
    8,600gal PebbleTec, Pentair 2hp, Cartridge Filter, Solar Heat. Hopefully SWG Soon!
    Old -- 22,600gal Vinyl Inground, Hayward 1.5hp, 350# Sand Filter w/ZeoBrite, Color Logic, Aqua Rite SWG. Computer geek.

12. Back To Top    #12
    You should pour muriatic acid slowly in front of a return. It is better to not subject your equipment to the acid before it fully dilutes. Muriatic acid mixes with the water very quickly, you should only need to wait a minute or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School