Greetings from the Philly suburbs

Jun 10, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Hello fellow TFP'ers. I bought a house with an older pool two years ago, but just found this forum. I read through pool school, received my TF-100 and magnetic stirrer yesterday, and am excited to start properly testing and SLAM-ing as I work from home tomorrow. I'll post the results once we achieve some sort of balance.

Thank you for everyone who put this site and advice together. For the first time since I bought my house, I feel like I understand pool chemistry and can have some control over keeping my pool clean. Last summer was touch and go, with several algae incidents. This summer, the pool was quite green from algae when we opened, but we were able to get it clear with instructions from Leslie's. That said, I'd like to try to keep it clear this summer, rather than have a repeat of last summer.

Thanks!
H

Welcome to TFP! You are one of those exceptional TFP'ers who already has everything in order right from the start. :goodjob: Awesome! Congrats on the new house/pool. Keep us posted with comments/pics and enjoy the site. Have a great day.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Whenever in doubt ... post a full set of TF-100 numbers and we'll do the thinking for you. :)

Alright, first TF-100 test results:

FC 11.5
CC 0.5
TC 12
Ca 450
TA 110
CYA 65
Ph 7.0

The chart says my target shock level is 26.

The calculator says to add 656 oz of my 8.25% bleach, which is about 5.5 jugs.

Off to add the bleach. Let me know if you have any thoughts on these numbers! The FC was high because I started to see algae yesterday evening and dumped 2 121 oz jugs into the pool to arrest that process . The CYA is high because I was previously using the tablets, my floater fell apart, and my Polaris picked up a tablet or two. Whee!

Thanks!

Perhaps before you hit that pool with the SLAM bleach, try to bump-up that PH slightly to the ideal 7.2 for SLAM? I know it's not much of a difference, but it may help the process. I don't think your current FC of 11.5 would have skewed the PH reading as it would have had you already been in a full SLAM with really high chlorine levels. Other than that minor item, I think you're set to SLAM.

Great you have your kit and are so proactive! Keep us posted, and good luck!

I wasn't able to change the PH before I chlorinated.

An hour after chlorination, FC=43 and CC=0. Candidly, I dumped the whole 6th bottle of bleach in, instead of half, so I actually added 6*121=726 oz of 8.25% bleach.

I estimated my pool at 30,000 gallons based on measurements, but it's an oddly shaped pool and clearly I could have been off. @Tex, do you think you or someone else could back out a reasonably accurate volume for my pool based on these measurements and that amount of chlorine?