Getting Tired

garypritt

Gold Supporter
May 28, 2015
Goodview, VA
New pool owner this year. Cannot seem to get deep end clear and keep it that way. Only one time (overnight to morning) after finding this forum was I able to get deep end clear but the minute i inserted the Dolphin Triton to sweep it clouded back up and has been that way ever since. I purchased the Lamotte commercial kit with all the bells and whistles (thanks TFP! Now I no longer run back and forth to the dishonest chemical salesman at the pool store!). Here are the results this morning: (added 370 oz bleach 8%, 47 oz muratic acid yesterday evening)

pH:7.4 down from 7.6 yesterday
CA Hardness: 220
CYA: 35 down from 60 yesterday
ALK: 160
Free Chlorine: 11 up from 2.4 yesterday
Residual Chlorine: 11 up from 2.8 yesterday
Combined Chlorine: 0
Bromine: 24.75 up from 5.4 yesterday
Salt: 2900
Temp: 86
Sat. Index: + 0.2

I know that I need Stabilizer. Adding that this morning 6lbs. Wish there was a place to get this other than pool store. Going to try Clorox bran from Walmart unless you advise otherwise. Ran Dolphin overnight and running it now. What else do I need to do to see that quarter on the bottom of deep end. Thanks for what you all are doing here!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Unless you exchanged a lot of water you're CYA did NOT go down from 60 yesterday to 35 today. Can't happen, don't add it.

I don't know the Lamotte kit, but you won't have chlorine and bromine in the same pool. The Taylor OTO kit uses the same tube/test for both chlorine and Bromine, but it doesn't mean bot are present in the pool.

You need to go back through the test kit instructions and figure out the testing begfore you add something like CYA that is impossible to get back out of the water.

Once you are good with the test kit it's time to follow the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Never used Bromide and LaMotte told me that because it is a SWG/chlorine pool that there was no need to take that measurement. They also informed me that temperature plays a major part in getting accurate tests. They advise testing water that is 75 deg. They said any higher would give a false lower # esp on CYA and a lower temp would give a false higher #. Going to re-test later this evening. I will repost.

Re-test results:
pH: 7.4
CA hardness: 240
CYA: 50
Alk: 80
FC: 9
TC: 9.5
CC: 0.5
Salt: 2900
Temp: 75F
Sat: -0.2

Ran the dolphin 4x today. Added 7oz of Biogaurd Polysheen Blue tonight that I had left over from all the other chemicals bought at beginning of the year. Guess I'll see in the morning if it has cleared up. Talked to a friend who called his friend at the pool store who said test for phosphates. They don't even test for those at their counter. Thankfully I read the thread here on that. Won't be going down that road!

Two days ago pool installer came and replaced the sand in the filter. Theory was that there had been so much chemical put in since April 1st that the filter wasn't doing it's job properly. This morning water is clear! Little low on salt and cya but this is the first time we have seen the bottom of deep end this clearly. Here are the #'s this morning.
pH:7.4
CA hard:220
CYA: 60
ALK: 140
FC: 5.0
TC: 5.4
CC: 0.4
salt: 2700
sat: 0.0
temp: 75

I did not slam it however due to sand replacement but it looks great. Any input necessary?

Two days ago pool installer came and replaced the sand in the filter. Theory was that there had been so much chemical put in since April 1st that the filter wasn't doing it's job properly. This morning water is clear! Little low on salt and cya but this is the first time we have seen the bottom of deep end this clearly. Here are the #'s this morning.
pH:7.4
CA hard:220
CYA: 60
ALK: 140
FC: 5.0
TC: 5.4
CC: 0.4
salt: 2700
sat: 0.0
temp: 75

I did not slam it however due to sand replacement but it looks great. Any input necessary?
:party::splash::swim::snorkle::paddle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water temp in the pool is 88. When I test it I wait about 20 minutes after getting the sample so that the water temp is close to 75. That is the temp that Lamotte says is the temp that gives the most accurate results esp with the CYA.

The water temp in the pool is 88. When I test it I wait about 20 minutes after getting the sample so that the water temp is close to 75. That is the temp that Lamotte says is the temp that gives the most accurate results esp with the CYA.

Aha! We're just messing around on the water temp cuz all the other numbers look good! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.