Borates or Stains first?

gtm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
St. Petersburg, Florida
Hello folks,

My two big projects for the winter are adding borates and dealing with some stains. I have waterbear's directions on adding borates ready to go (I've even bought the materials), but I'm a little nervous.

From the reading I've done here I think the stains are metals, but I'm not entirely sure yet. In any case, I've decided to wait on the stains thing until the water gets a bit colder just in case I have to take the FC to zero. I've also decided to wait until I ask a few more questions here about the stains.

Could I go ahead and do the borates now? Or would it be better to wait until after I deal with the stains?

If the stains are metals, which seems likely, then it seems that having the extra protection against algae ahead of time would be a good thing. But I don't know if there's any potential stain treatment that would mean that adding borates first would be a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers, Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.