Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates or Stains first?

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates or Stains first?

Hello folks,

My two big projects for the winter are adding borates and dealing with some stains. I have waterbear's directions on adding borates ready to go (I've even bought the materials), but I'm a little nervous.

From the reading I've done here I think the stains are metals, but I'm not entirely sure yet. In any case, I've decided to wait on the stains thing until the water gets a bit colder just in case I have to take the FC to zero. I've also decided to wait until I ask a few more questions here about the stains.

Could I go ahead and do the borates now? Or would it be better to wait until after I deal with the stains?

If the stains are metals, which seems likely, then it seems that having the extra protection against algae ahead of time would be a good thing. But I don't know if there's any potential stain treatment that would mean that adding borates first would be a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers, Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates or Stains first?

Adding the borates first should be no problem.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I've ordered the borate test strips that you recommended, and as soon as these arrive I'll have a go at it. Thanks again ... Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a public thanks to waterbear for taking the time to write up the detailed instructions on adding borates. I did it this past weekend and all went as smoothly as you can imagine. Thanks again! -- Gary

5. Back To Top    #5

You are quite welcome!