Pool cover with residual algae on it

Jul 16, 2014
Westport, CT
Hi all. Thanks again for all the help with the BBB method. My pool is crystal clear and better than ever.

I'm going away on vacation for a 6 days, and unfortunately, don't have anyone to help with dispensing chlorine in my manually chlorinated pool.
I had a nightmare with CYA last year, so don't want to revert to trichlor again, even though my CYA is currently only about 30ppm. (My chlorinator just broke anyway and I physically removed it.)

I plan to bring the pool up to shock level, and then cover the pool with my dark green loop loc mesh cover and cross my fingers.
I opened the pool to a algae bloom (both green and mustard) this year, and am finally rid of all the problem.

My fear is that the cover was laden with the algae, and has been left outside by the pool edge. Should I be concerned with covering the pool with it, since there's likely still algae on it (not sure how long it survives out of water on the cover, but we've had some recent heavy rains as well).

Hopefully, covering and bringing it up to shock level (or a little higher) will last me the 6 days.

The only other option I can think of is to leave the pool at shock level, uncovered for a week, and then just come back to expect a little green algae. Easier to kill than mustard algae, and lower shock levels to maintain.

any thoughts?
1-risk cover with algae
2-leave uncovered and come back and fight green algae
3-bring to shock level and use floater and deal with the increased CYA (3" Leslies Trichlor pucks,... really don't want to drain water again as I have a closed system and no hydrostatic valves, so risk of gunite pool popping out)

Thank you all!

Just my 2-cents worth:
1 - Possible risk to cover sure. Perhaps try to deep clean the cover and then use?
2 - Leave uncovered is fine
3 - That's fine as well. If your CYA is only 30, you have some wiggle room to use a couple pucks for a few days. I won't devastate all the work you've done.

Enjoy your vacation! :)

Thanks for the advice @TexasSplash. Ended up bringing up to shock level the night before I left, and having a neighbor come to dump 3 bottles of 12.5% bleach in halfway through vacation. Came back and pool is still sparkling clean.

Compared to a friend's pool and the one at the hotel,... the water clarity doesn't come close to what I have at home since I've switched to this method. It truly is amazing. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.