Jun 15, 2008
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Title says it all....which one and why?

As I understand it, they are fairly similar.

I've had a 280 in the past and would be most interested in performance (obviously) as well as wear, replacement parts cost, etc.

Thanks!

This is pretty subjective, but here's is an observation I made.

A neighbor of ours put in their pool about 4-5 months after ours. We have the Polaris and they got the Letro. After they had been running theirs for several months, I was asked to take care of their pool while they were out of town. When I check out the cleaner, it looked like it was several years old and not wearing well at all and did not perform well.

Now, that could have been improper use, etc, so it's only anecdotal, but it did make me feel better about getting the Polaris, which is still going strong.

I expect you'll get some expert opinions here but if not, I would call up a couple of shops where they do repairs and ask them which one they think is the better product.

well i have to be honest and say most ppl around here only have polaris so i see the good and they bad with them. But i will say i really like how the letro has 4 wheels instead of 3. ive looked online and spoke with dealers and other pool companies and they all pretty much said they same thing... "not much of a difference" and " its nice having the 4 wheels keeps in upright alot better"

Heckpools said:
well i have to be honest and say most ppl around here only have polaris so i see the good and they bad with them. But i will say i really like how the letro has 4 wheels instead of 3. ive looked online and spoke with dealers and other pool companies and they all pretty much said they same thing... "not much of a difference" and " its nice having the 4 wheels keeps in upright alot better"

The 4-wheel vs 3-wheel is actually something I have noticed and thought about. The 280 I had previously, did have some tipping issues as a result. But the positive reviews for the Polaris seem overwhelmingly ahead of the Legend. Maybe it's because there's more in service.

Which product is easier to get replacement parts for and which parts are cheaper(?), if there is such a thing?

I sort of like the truck covers for the legend...cutsie but also another temptation for the kids to mess with it.

http://theaustindude.blogspot.com/

el duderino said:
spishex said:
I prefer the 280. I find it to be more robust, less likely to tangle and easier to service.

Spishex, can you elaborate a bit on how it's more robust?

Thanks!

In my experience they last longer and work more aggressively. Because of the 4-wheel, front wheel drive design the legend does more straight line cleaning, whereas the 280 which is driven by two wheels on one side works in curves and covers more of the floor faster. The 4th wheel on the legend also creates one more spot for the hose to get tangled around, one more bearing to go bad, etc.

I have weekly customers with both cleaners and the legend just seems to be the squeakier, clunkier, weaker stepbrother.

spishex said:
el duderino said:
spishex said:
I prefer the 280. I find it to be more robust, less likely to tangle and easier to service.

Spishex, can you elaborate a bit on how it's more robust?

Thanks!

In my experience they last longer and work more aggressively. Because of the 4-wheel, front wheel drive design the legend does more straight line cleaning, whereas the 280 which is driven by two wheels on one side works in curves and covers more of the floor faster. The 4th wheel on the legend also creates one more spot for the hose to get tangled around, one more bearing to go bad, etc.

I have weekly customers with both cleaners and the legend just seems to be the squeakier, clunkier, weaker stepbrother.

Good information, much appreciated. That seems to mirror a lot of what I've heard. I think I will take your advice that happens to coincide with my past experience and gut feel and just get a black 280.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.