Need a new motor looking for advice

mg0698

Dec 9, 2011
I want to get a high efficiency motor. I don't know if I should get a 2 speed or variable or 2 speed with timer. Any suggestions are appreciateted. I am pretty handy can I do it my self? When searching for one do I just match frame type HP and voltage? Right now I have the basic one I want a high efficiency one will that be a problem? And do the high efficiency ones really save money?
Thank you all

Any reason to try and fix this motor? Maybe needs new copacitors or something should I waste time doing this? Is it easy?

received_10206790259740746.jpeg

It's really a judgement call on whether to repair the old motor or get a new one. Will this motor not start? How old is that motor and have you had any recent problems with it prior to the current issue?

If you decide to replace it and assuming you will keep the pump itself, I would go with a 2-speed of the same Service Factor HP (SFHP) and voltage. SFHP is calculated by taking the HP * the Service Factor. On this motor, it is 1.5 HP * 1 SF = 1.5 SFHP. Installing a motor with a different SFHP will require you to change the impeller of the pump as well. The impeller and motor are designed to work as a cohesive unit. Also be sure to replace the shaft seal whenever you replace the motor.

And do the high efficiency ones really save money?
If by "high efficiency" you mean a 2-speed vs. a single-speed, the answer is yes. Depending on how long you run the pump each day and what your electric rates are, you could generate enough savings to pay for the motor in 1-2 years.

Unless your electricity rates are quite high, you will never recover the additional cost of a variable speed. I don't think you can replace a single speed motor with a variable speed motor. I think you would have to replace the whole pump, and that can be quite expensive. You probably will save money in the long run by getting a two speed motor. Or you could get a standard or energy efficient single speed motor. The two speed motors will use about 1/4 of the energy when it is on low speed of what it uses on high speed. So, if you don't increase the pump run time, you save about 75% of the energy cost. If you get an energy efficient single speed motor, you save on the order of 10-15% of the energy from what a standard single speed motor uses.

What BoDarville says about the Service Factor is correct. Your existing motor is a 1.5 SFHP motor. The two speed equivalent motor to the UST1152 is a STS1152R, based on the model numbers (But it is a 1.5 hp with SF=1.3, so the SFHP=1.95, so it is really a more "powerful" motor. It is okay to use a motor with a higher SFHP without changing the impeller.). A STS1102RV1 would also work because although it is 1 hp, it has a service factor of 1.5, so the SFHP is 1.5.Here is one site that sells those motors.

You can use a two speed with just a regular timer that you use with a single speed, but you will need a double throw switch to change from low to high speed.

If your motor won't start but just sort of hums, the problem could be a capacitor, and it may make sense to just replace that.

Unless your electricity rates are quite high, you will never recover the additional cost of a variable speed. I don't think you can replace a single speed motor with a variable speed motor. I think you would have to replace the whole pump, and that can be quite expensive. You probably will save money in the long run by getting a two speed motor. Or you could get a standard or energy efficient single speed motor. The two speed motors will use about 1/4 of the energy when it is on low speed of what it uses on high speed. So, if you don't increase the pump run time, you save about 75% of the energy cost. If you get an energy efficient single speed motor, you save on the order of 10-15% of the energy from what a standard single speed motor uses.

What BoDarville says about the Service Factor is correct. Your existing motor is a 1.5 SFHP motor. The two speed equivalent motor to the UST1152 is a STS1152R, based on the model numbers (But it is a 1.5 hp with SF=1.3, so the SFHP=1.95, so it is really a more "powerful" motor. It is okay to use a motor with a higher SFHP without changing the impeller.). A STS1102RV1 would also work because although it is 1 hp, it has a service factor of 1.5, so the SFHP is 1.5.Here is one site that sells those motors.

You can use a two speed with just a regular timer that you use with a single speed, but you will need a double throw switch to change from low to high speed.

If your motor won't start but just sort of hums, the problem could be a capacitor, and it may make sense to just replace that.

Thank you for your reply. So you say if I use the timer i already have installed i would need a double throw switch is that something that has to come separate? And do I buy anyone? Or does it come with it? I saw some that had a timer built in with it.

I don't hear a humming so I think I'm just goint to go ahead anf replace it.

IS this one ok? Do i need a timer also?
- - - Updated - - -

Screenshot_2015-06-17-10-30-12.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-17-10-30-08.jpg

Thank you for your reply. So you say if I use the timer i already have installed i would need a double throw switch is that something that has to come separate? And do I buy anyone? Or does it come with it? I saw some that had a timer built in with it.

IS this one ok? Do i need a timer also?

What I did was install a single pole double throw switch in the bottom of my existing timer box. The wire from the timer goes to the center terminal of the switch, and from the switch I have one wire that goes to the high speed terminal of the motor and another wire goes to the low speed terminal of the motor. This is the switch that I have. The switch could be mounted on the motor or in a box near the motor as well. Some people have used a three way light switch mounted in a box to switch from high to low. The switch did not come with the motor.

Since you already have a timer, you don't need to buy a motor with a timer or to buy another timer. You just need to buy a switch and figure out how to mount it and wire it to the timer and motor.

That motor looks like the right one, but just to be sure, check that your motor has the same type of mounting flanges that are on that motor. Also make sure your existing motor is wired for 230 V. If all you have is 115 V, that motor is not going to work. Be sure and get a shaft seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'm just going to buy the motor and pay a pool company to do it. I called one company looks like they want around $100. He was not really thrilled about me buying a 2 speed motor. He said it costs more and he isn't sure it's worth it. He said I will have to have the pump running longer. Which doesn't sound right to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.