Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost to Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost to Shock

Just replied to another post regarding cost of chlorine and decided another chart I made last year may be helpful to others. I got the impact of chemical use and qty to move FC from the Pool Calculator. At the time I didnt realize you didnt need to shock weekly but its still a quick snapshot of costs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost to Shock

You do not need to shock weekly, you only need to shock when water testing, water appearance, or unusual incidents indicate a need to shock.

There is a very through comparison of the cost of various chlorine sources in this post.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You do not need to shock weekly, you only need to shock when water testing, water appearance, or unusual incidents indicate a need to shock.
    .............and to add, if the (CC) level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

4. Back To Top    #4

At the time I made this side-by-side comparison I wanted to see for my pool the costs and corresponding FC move per bag or jug of chlorine. This way evertime I needed to shock I knew exactly what I was getting into using the available options.

Didn't know other post existed, very detailed analysis thanks for the link. Also didnt know about BBB and the rules of not needing a regular shock if you keep your FC in balance.

I have to give credit to Jason Lion for the chemical multipliers for the FC change and corresponding changes in other balances depending on the method of chlorination:

http://www.poolcalculator.com
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie