Major Algae. Need suggestion

Apr 17, 2012
I have a 32500 gallon gunite pool. Chlorine at 0, ph 7.3, cya 55. Sand filter with 1hp Pentair. Usually no problems with this pool but holy smoke now I have problems. First of all, I have no test kit other than the two tube type and strips (I know - useless). However, I have a buddy (best friend) who will my water when I need it at the pool store. He doesn't try to sell me chemicals so I trust him. He makes his money other ways. Second year without problems. However, my pump died and the water was stagnate for about 10 days. It is now a deep green.

Before I waste my time and money, I was going to get an opinion. My options are draining, pressure washing and starting over or SLAM without a test kit. My kids are on my butt so I'm under the gun. I plan refill my Taylor kit ASAP but wanted to get started. The refills will take a week or so to get here .

What I've done so far: day 1, I added phosphate remover. Day 2 (Today), I added algaecide. This was on recommendation of pool store. My buddy gave me the chemicals and told me to pay him if they worked. No change of course. I bought 7 pounds of diclor but have not added that yet. My CYA was 50. At this point, I don't think that will work. I thought of bleach instead but I just don't know.

So, should I just drain the dang thing or try to do this without a text kit using bleach? I have a deep well so water cost not an issue other cost to pump it.

I know I am very handicapped without the kit, but I need to get this thing going.

Thanks in advance.

It's nearly impossible to perform a SLAM properly without a test kit. You need to be able to accurately determine your CYA level and pH to even start the process, then need a FAS-DPD capable kit to accurately measure shock level FC/CC concentrations throughout the process. In the mean time, you could stem the tide by adding a gallon or so of bleach to the pool to keep things from getting worse.

Even if the pool store testing is free, it's not accurate, not worth it and not convenient enough to do it right.

Good decision. An even better decision would be to go with the TF-100 kit from tftestkits.net It's the best you can get to manage your residential pool. The XL option is a good idea for those who need to perform a SLAM for more FAS-DPD chlorine test reagents. I also love my Speed Stir for faster, more reliable testing but it's not required. Taylor K-2006 is serviceable as well, just not quite as good of a value, especially when you need to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.