Tf 100 first test

giltyler

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Argyle, TX
Hi
Just had my pool for a little over a week now and the test kit just arrived today and I want to post up the initial readings.

PH-7.5
CL-5
CC-5.5
T/A-420
CYA-38

I have been adding 8.25 % Bleach to try to keep the chlorine up and so far used 1.5 gallons over 7 days
I had 1.5 gallons of MA from last year that I added Saturday
Also bought 4 LBS of CYA powder yesterday and added a little more than half.
This is my first ever venture into testing and I read the directions as I went through and also viewed the TF videos just before going out.
OK what is next?

Welcome to taking over your own pool.

I'm assuming acid is to reduce the TA number? That number is suspect.

Your CYA is in range for a vinyl chlorine pool and you want to be careful not to overdo that as the only way to correct high CYA is to drain water.

Could you describe how you did the TA test? And how does the water look?

Edit......Richard beat me to it again. And I totally missed the 5.5 on CC. I was spinning my head over that TA number.

My bet is you meant CC .5 ppm and the TC was 5.5 ppm. That said, your TA is wa-a-a-y up there and could be a testing error did you read the directions on wiping the dropper tip when your kit is new?

You are about to go swimming, I think. I assume your water is very clear and you will keep you FC up at the level indicated in the CYA/FC chart. You should be good to go.

Work on those tests again when you have time.

I will assume the pH and CL results you got were from the OTO red/yellow drop test (in the blue case).

The CC you got was actually the FC (you added powder to the tube and added 11 drops for it to go clear).

As to the CYA test, there is no way to get 38. Don't equate “just a little any marked number” to a specific number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. Use the next higher marked number.

When it comes to chlorine, you should've had to do the FC test first (scoop of powder that turns water pink). You then add the R-0871 drops until it turns clear, counting the drops. Example: 14 drops to turn clear x .5 = FC of 7.

Next is the Combined Chlorine test. You immediately add 5 drops of the R003 reagent to that same sample. If it turns pink, you count the number of R-0871 drops until that turns clear: Example: 4 drops to turn clear x .5 = CC of 2.

Not sure what happened with your TA test. It should be somewhere around 80-120 give or take. You might want to double-check that process. :)

The FC and CC look more realistic and not bad. Let's talk about TA directions:

You filled the larger vile up to 25 ml with pool water; then added 2 drops of R-0007; then 5 drops of R-0008. Now the water sample "should" be green. Now you start doing the drops of R-0009 until it turns red. Once you get the sample to turn red (i.e. 10 drops), you multiply it by 10. So in this case 10 x 10 = 100.

Are you saying it actually took 45 drops to turn from green to red?

- - - Updated - - -

Please see this thread: just got tf-100 test kit and not registering alkalinity

It's possible your TA and PH are much lower than expected. Let us know if your colors did this as in the example.

I did exactly what the card said
Sample turned green and took 45 drops to turn pink and I wiped after each drop with a clean damp microfiber cloth.
We have Well water
It is clear to the bottom
Last night the walls and floor felt very slick compared to before

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. I was wondering (hoping) that perhaps your TA and/or PH are so far off (low) that it made your colors change differently than what is expected on the instructions. That happens sometimes. It happened to me once before as well. Well, let us know what you find out then.

OK
The Wife took a sample to Leslie's by our house and got the test done and the Manager was there and I have talked with him several times and bought a vacuum head and other small hardware items and he is zero pressure very laid back and older so I trust him a little.

FAC 0
TAC 0
Salt 600
CH 60
CYA 50
TA 300
PH 8.5
Acid Demand 4
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates 0

They recommend adding 1 pound 7 ounces Dry Acid or 18 Fluid ounces of MA
It goes on to say "your pool may require the addition of an extra 33#s dry or 18 Quarts liquid acid to lower Alkalinity"
I am not following this advice just reporting what was recommended

Slick walls is a sign that algae is growing in your pool. Keep that chlorine level up above the minimum level for your CYA level to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. Use this Chlorine CYA Chart to set your chlorine level.

If you want you can test your fill water to validate your TA level. Might take another 45 drops of reagent. That is a high TA level. High TA usually causes PH to rise. So be sure to test Ph every few days, when it hits 7.8 add muriatic acid to drop it to 7.2, use Pool School - PoolMath to calculate how much to add. Doing this repeatedly will lower your TA slowly. If you get tired of adding acid every few days then you can more actively lower you TA as follows, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity, but it is still a fairly slow process.

This morning while waiting on the coffee to brew I tested the tap water right from the kitchen faucet.
Thoroughly rinsed the cylinder and filled to 25ml then added 51 drops wiping with damp towel and swirling generously between drops the water finally turned pink.
Each drop left a hint of color change as it hit the sample and mixed in.
TA 510

My initial tests were done after there were some chemicals already in the pool and that was 420/450

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.