Pentair Easy Touch Freeze Protection Setting

TexasTwister

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 9, 2008
Richmond, Texas
Our Pentair Easy Touch System is kicking on the pump at an air temperature of about 36° for "freeze protection". This is really frustrating and a big waste of money having the pump run all night (and sometimes all day) until the temperature rises. Is there any way to adjust this setting to something more reasonable, say 28°? I have read through the owner's manual and I can't find where this setting is adjustable. Thanks!

TEX
The same thing happened to me last year. The pump would turn on and stay on and I didn't like it. :rant: I just turned the FREEZE PROTECTION off on the Easy Touch System. Now the pump has it's own freeze protection built in. The pump will turn on for about 10 seconds every minute on low speed. :goodjob: This setting I don't think can be adjusted or turned off. Good Luck.

Calibrate your air temp setting to a higher than actual value. I set mine 5 degrees warmer than actual so my pump will not run until the true ambient air temp at the pump skid is 30, which is indicated as 35. I have an intelliflo and was not aware that the onboard computer has a built in freeze guard. I wonder how it knows the temp. If it's from the air sensor on the easy touch or intellitouch then what I'm doing is delaying it as well. It would seem rather damaging for a pump to cycle on/off every minute for hours/days at sub freezing temps. Besides, if it's cold enough to freeze water in minutes the pool equipment should already be drained.

tmoss,

You can set your air temp on the console to any value you want, But the 4x160 pump will run under a freeze condition anyways. The 4x160 must have an internal thermostat that senses the air temp. This is useful for pool owners that do not have an Easytouch system or other control panel, but just the pump.

Yes, the 4 x 160 VS does have internal freeze protection. This, from the Owner's Manual:

"To protect the IntelliFlo 4 pump electronics from damage due to freezing conditions, the pump will switch it
self on to generate internal heat when the air temperature drops below 40° F. This feature is not intended to
protect the system plumbing from freezing."

I signed into TFP this morning to lookup this exact problem. The pump switches on every minute or less, cycles, and the cuts out again. Very annoying. It's not cold enough here for the plumbing to freeze. So what do we do? Kill all power to the pump?

If the freeze protection is turned off on the various programs and the pump cycles on & off still.
It is the internal freeze protection of the pump. The only way to stop this is to remove power to the pump.
I would personally not do this just in case of. You never know.

What can I do to have my freeze protection to come on at 32 degrees instead of 36 degrees. My hardware is listed in my bio. Thanks for any help

Good question. I’ve tried manipulating my EasyTouch temperature as a workaround. Unfortunately my temp settings don’t ever stick. At least they’re a bit more conservative.

Sid,

You can just calibrate your "Air" temp to show a higher temp... So when it is 35 degrees, tell the ET the air temp is 38 degrees. With the air temp off by 3 degrees, the freeze control should kick in when the real air temp drops to about 32 degrees.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sid,

You can just calibrate your "Air" temp to show a higher temp... So when it is 35 degrees, tell the ET the air temp is 38 degrees. With the air temp off by 3 degrees, the freeze control should kick in when the real air temp drops to about 32 degrees.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi JimR, I’ve actually tried to do this a few times on my Pentair ET system without success. If I go into the config and calibrate air or water temp, apply it, a few mins later, they return to their original values which I assume are the air and water reading being taken by the sensors at the ET panel. Thanks.

Miles,

It can be buggy, but before I posted the above comments the temp here was 34 degrees and I calibrated the air temp to 37 degrees. It still shows 37 with the local weather station still showing 34 degrees.. I was just screwing with freeze control as I have seen a lot of posts in the last couple of days...

ScreenLogic shows air temp in two places.. One is in the upper right of the screen which is from the local weather station or air port. The other is on the home page in a long list of temperatures. The air temp in the long list is the one that gets calibrated and is only used for freeze control.

I generally calibrated it, apply it.. it changes and then I hit apply again..

It works for me.. you just might want to try it again.

Let us know how it turns out..

Jim R.

Ha - this just happened to me this morning. I'm in SoCal so we never have actual freezing weather. Went outside to do something before work and noticed the pump was going. Freaked out at first then it hit me - it is pretty dang cold - I bet it's the freeze protection setting (I had remembered seeing that when initially setting things up). For me, I just went into the Screenlogic Config App and that feature has an on/off option and I turned it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.