Which Came First: The "Sand Filter Pump" or the "Saltwater System"

Jun 9, 2015
Navarre/FL
Which Came First: The "Sand Filter Pump" or the "Saltwater System"

I got my Coleman 18 foot AGP all set-up and the water is full. Now I need to know how to set-up the separate "Sand Filter Pump (SFP)" and separate "Saltwater System (SS)." If you could help answer my questions below I would greatly appreciate it.

1) What order to I put everything in from the lower hole in the pool wall (assuming the lower hole is the output hole): Output-SS-SFP-Input OR Output-SFP-SS-Input?

2) After I get the connections right, do I run through the SFP set-up and leave the SS off or should I connect the SFP to the pool without the SS connected, run the set-up, and then connect the SS and run that set-up? (I wanted to get the SFP/SS combo unit but all the research I did said to get the systems separately.) OR do I run both?

If you couldn't tell....I am a little confused. I don't want to break anything and want to make sure I do this right. Thanks!

Re: Which Came First: The "Sand Filter Pump" or the "Saltwater System"

1) Not sure I follow, but generally the pipes go from the pool to the pump to the filter to the SWG back to the pool.
2) What sand filter setup? You should be able to connect everything at the start. No power to the SWG until 24 hours after adding the salt.

Reactions: JayH

You want the water to run through your filter first, get cleaned of major debris, then go to your SWG (SS).

I dont fully understand your next question. I believe you are asking if you should run them at the same time?

Yes, the SWG will not function without water running through it. The pump from your filter must be turned on.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the filter pump should be turned on at least 30 minutes before the SWG turns on, and turn off at least 30 minutes afterwards.

Sorry, I see that is confusing.

I am trying to see what order to connect the SFP and SS to the pool. So it goes pool output to SFP, then the SS connects to the SFP and then to the pool input?

As far as the sand filter setup, I thought I had to let the sandfilter and pump run for 24 hours before connecting the SS. But off what you are saying, if I connect everything the way you said, I add the salt to the pool and leave the SS off for the first 24 hours but I can let the SFP run?

Is that still confusing? I may need to break this into parts.

- - - Updated - - -

You want the water to run through your filter first, get cleaned of major debris, then go to your SWG (SS).

I dont fully understand your next question. I believe you are asking if you should run them at the same time?

Yes, the SWG will not function without water running through it. The pump from your filter must be turned on.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the filter pump should be turned on at least 30 minutes before the SWG turns on, and turn off at least 30 minutes afterwards.

That makes sense. Lol. Should have thought that through. And as far as the 30 minutes before and 30 minutes, I am assuming you are referring to the timer?

Everything you just said is correct.
Pool>Pump>Filter>SWG>Pool

You can run the pump with the SWG connected, just leave it turned off 24 hours after adding salt.

So in summary (to see if I got this right),

The SFP comes first and connects to the SWG, which then connects to the pool.

I set everything up and put the salt in the pool. The salt needs to be in the pool for 24 hours then I turn the SFP and SWG on....but the SFP goes on 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after the SWG?

And last question...the SFP and SWG run while people are in the pool or afterword? (Sorry, I know these are silly questions.)

I have NEVER heard this before and disagree. Nearly all SWGs are powered by the same timer that turns on the pump. So the SWG starts when the pump turns on and stops when the pump turns off.

I think I see what Steve is saying ... IF ... you were trying to have the SWG on a separate timer than the one that controls the pump. But that is generally not needed or recommended.

Re: Which Came First:

Ugh ... you need the pump (SFP) running for 24 hours after the salt and before before you turn on the SWG.

Some Intex pumps state that they should not be run while people are in the pool ... so check what your manual states.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Sorry, I am use to my Intex SWG... Jblizzle is correct. Unless you are using an Intex, then I am correct.

I think the 30 minute thing with Intex is in case the timers come out of sync.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.